Specialized Sirrus 2012 on c2w scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Popped into cyclesurgery on great portland street and had a look at the specialized Sirrus Comp 2012 - also tried a specialized drop bar which was just too extreme for me.
Anyone had a Specialized and can offer views on build quality, riding experience etc?

This is £800 and i want to buy the right bike for fitness, popping down the shops, urban rides, road riding (90%) and the odd bridle (10%)

Anything equivalent i should be looking at - just like the look of the Specialized bikes in general, but open to other makes.

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

Veteran
I own a Specialized TriCross. It's a bit heavy but that's because it's nice and strong, needed for towpaths quite frequently so opted for this over a more road-racey bike.

Specialized customer service and warranty service is absolutely outstanding, they answered any emails sent to a general "hello@specializedUK.com" type address within about 36hours, even the most technical questions.

I have done about 1800 miles and the freehub on my wheel was shot. The problem was the hub and freehub were not "standard", they wouldn't just swap for another off the shelf shimano freehub. In fact, I had to contact Specialized who told me they don't even make these freehubs yet!!

Eventually had to take it to a dealer who replaced the whole wheelset for a slightly better one, free of charge/under warranty. Glad I got that one out the way sooner rather than later.

It seems a lot of people are having problems with Specialized hubs. This thread and this one may be of interest to you, particularly the user who opted to have his wheel rebuilt on the same rim (i.e change of hub and freehub) for only £30 - so maybe the hub issue isn't such a big problem after all.

Other than these mechanical woes, I love my tricross, I find it a flexible bike. I commute with big panniers, carrying lots of kit, I can take it down a canal towpath and rely on it's 36 spoke wheels to get me where I'm going even when I need to, as usual, take lots of kit. Meanwhile I can take those all off and I get something that can hold its own on club runs.

Other than the derailleur snapping, and tbh that was probably due to me not replacing the freehub due to the hassle involved (and the fact that I was too busy riding it everywhere having fun), I have found the bike to be very reliable. Other than punctures, which I resolved by sliming my innertubes; and having my cones come loose about every 100 miles until I discovered the joys of threadlock, I have had no mechanical problems with it. Specialized seem to have quite a reputation amongst mountain bikers, so I guess that after decades of building stuff to throw down the side of a mountain, the reliability aspect of roadbikes is taken care of.

So in summary - check out the hub/freehub: I'd definitely email specialized and ask them what freehub is on it, whether it's a standard freehub you can replace with another off the shelf or whether it has to come from Specialized themselves, and whether Specialized actually make them and at what price.... then rest assured that their customer service is outstanding and warranty seems to be quite comprehensive also.

leemo

Commuter
Been dead chuffed with my sirrus 2009 elite. Pretty fast and comfortable. Must have racked up over 5k miles commuting on it. Usual suspects have been worn out in that period: cables, chains, brake blocks, casette. Also chain rings though partly my fault for being ignorant of chain stretch when I started out. I think thats reasonable especially given some of those miles were in the winter. Overall a good quality bike (at least they were back in 2008 but no reason to think thats changed).

Giant rapid could be worth a look and boardman hybrid, though I've not ridden either.

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

Hawk - great feedback - thankyou - i will email today on the freehub issues.
anyone else ....

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

"Been dead chuffed with my sirrus 2009 elite. Pretty fast and comfortable" - yeah the elite does look good !!! - just drawn to the comp as it's got SRAM chainset & gears, otherwise almost identical bikes. My thinking is with the max £1000 on C2W, i might aswell get the best i can

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have a spec, Allez Elite.

I find it very solid, very smooth, direct, rattle-less and overall just the mutts nutts.

I'm very happy with her and find her to be a great ride. Mechanics are all great, Indexing is still spot on with only a tiny issue when rolling back the crank (she needs an adjustment there I suspect as the chain can derail when i do this sometimes at a standstill)

I've put on well over 4,000 miles since October and nothing has shown the slightest sign of wear except the tyres which have a small flatspot on the crest. Frankly I'm surprised at how good it feels to ride as i was very loyal to my old MTB who now feels like some strange dragbike/chopper when I throw a leg over her these days.

Don't like the white Bar tape...actually I love the white bar tape but just wish it would stay white which means i dont like the dirty white bar tape.

you wont be disappointed

ACS

Legendary Member
Started commuting with a Sirrus Sport in 09 superb machine. 20 mile a day 5 days a week in all weathers for just over 2 years. Traded up for a Tricross (C2W). Would have another without question.

Jdratcliffe

I have a spec, Allez Elite.

Don't like the white Bar tape...actually I love the white bar tape but just wish it would stay white which means i dont like the dirty white bar tape.
+ 1 love mine to bits too done 4000 odd mile it her and she great just replaced the tires as of yet as all working great

White bar tips i use baby wipes to keep the tape dirt down and if i have time on my weekly clean i rub it down with mild bleach warm water :-)

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

The Allez Elite is the drop bar version of the comp, more or less - right?

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm on my second Sirrus (a 2011 Elite), having had a 2010 Sport which was nicked :sad: I had a flexible-ish budget but, despite traipsing around every bike shop in London, couldn't find anything else as light and quick as the Sirrus, which I got for £450 locally in the end

Mine perhaps isn't as quick as it may be as it has mudguards and a rack, but I have done 2k miles on the 2 Sirruses on rubbish suburban/urban roads, parks etc, not even had a visit from the 'p' fairy (and I am poor at avoiding potholes and road detritis). This one is a bit rattly, needs the gears adjusting I think, although it is covered in stuff!

Personally, I think the 2012 models look as dull as dishwater. The only other bikes I would personally consider around the £1k are the Whyte Cambridge or even the Sterling - they are lush, light, well specced and have disc brakes. In the end, I couldn't justify that sort of expenditure to myself at that time (even though I didn't really want another US superbrand bike)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/whyte/cambridge-2012-hybrid-bike-ec030092?query=cambridge
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/whyte/stirling-2012-hybrid-bike-ec030099?query=sterling

You need to go teestride the options. The Sirrus geometry is quite big I think, so make sure you get the right size if you go that way

Mr Celine

Discordian
I have a 2006 Spesh Sirrus Comp which has done over 8k miles. It was bought for pretty much the same reasons as the OP, ie fitness, commuting and the occasional bridle path type track. At the time I could not work the brakes on drop bars due to arthritis in my hands.
The Sirrus was so much better on road than my previous bike, a Raleigh Pioneer hybrid, that I'd rather take a 5 mile road detour than a 1 mile off road short cut, so it has hardly ever been off road. The usual parts have worn out and been replaced (chains, wheels, cassettes, etc) and it has now been relegated to winter/ wet weather/ holiday use as thanks to the NHS's latest wonder drugs I can use drops and now have a Spesh Roubaix as my best bike.

The only black mark against Specialized in my experience is that their tyres are rubbish. The ones supplied on my bikes were all very p******* resistant but all failed at low mileage due to the tyre delaminating -the tread separates from the rest of the tyre and falls off in big chunks.

tightwad

I bought a Sirrus Comp 2012 6 weeks ago. It was second hand but had hardly been ridden. Swapped the Spec double banded tyres for some marathon plus, spds and brake blocks. Very happy with it, strong, light, v fast and looks smart.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Sirrus Elite sport 08 model and very happy with it,never failed me even with the crap roads and a massive 400 miler to Cornwall fully loaded....great bike and more than up to the job

Top Bottom