Specialized Sirrus Sport Vs Trek 7.2FX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

insurin

I am after a comparison between riding position of these 2 bikes

I have a Trek 7.2FX and it feels a little bit like a mountain bike. I also Have a Specialized Tricross and it doesn't feel as upright when on the top bar as the Trek.
What I want to know is, how does the Sirrus Sport feel. Is it more stretched than the Trek?

vickster

Legendary Member
Sirrus definitely more sporty than the trek. The trek is a more typical rigid hybrid I'd say, certainly no MTB and light and quick, but not a road bike. Although that could be helped with skinnier smoother tyres. The Sirrus is essentially the secteur road bike with flatbar. However, in the case of both, if you are looking for a road bike, get a road bike :-)

Do you have an Evans close by, go get a test ride on the Sirrus. The frame geometry is the same on the whole range I think, go higher up, you get a carbon fork, you may get bar ends, better gearing etc

OP
OP
I

insurin

Hi

There is an Evans is Manchester. I will have to go. The bike is for commuting and light touring in the summer. I have a thread on here about converting my Tricross to Butterfly bars as I never use the drops. This is why I was looking at buying a flat bar bike such as the Trek/Sirrus. The cost of converting the Tricross to flat/butterfly is almost as much as just buying a used Sirrus.

I have never tried a Secteur. Is it like the Tricross in terms of riding position?

cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know. But a Secteur is a drop bar bike so wouldn't meet your needs I guess if you don't want drops. Why not just ride the tricross on the hoods, shoulders and tops. I never use the drops either, but you do have more options with road bars. I never got on with bar ends (i.e. never used them)

Crankarm

Guru
There is no point asking about how a bike fits you on an internet forum as we do not know your body shape or dimensions and even less how comfortable you feel when on a certain bike. You need to go to a bike shop and get them to see that a bike fits you properly and there you can also test ride the bike. I think the moral of the story here is that UNLESS you know EXACTLY how a bike fits when buying a bike on line you may as well go pi$$ in the wind as saving £20 will mean you end up spending a shed load more trying to rectify your tightness and ignorance. I am sure Evans can get your sorted out as they carry a wide range of makes of bikes and models.

OP
OP
I

insurin

I don't know. But a Secteur is a drop bar bike so wouldn't meet your needs I guess if you don't want drops. Why not just ride the tricross on the hoods, shoulders and tops. I never use the drops either, but you do have more options with road bars. I never got on with bar ends (i.e. never used them)
I do spend most of my time in the Hoods. I have been commuting on the Tricross for 4 years and I go into Europe every summer for a week or 2 doing some light touring.
I am wearing a splint on my right hand as I think I may have RSI and sometimes I struggle changing gear on the STI's. The idea of getting a flat bar bike was on the assumption that I can replace the flat bar with a butterfly. I am happy with the riding a position on the Tricross and I thought putting a butterfly on may make me happy.

OP
OP
I

insurin

There is no point asking about how a bike fits you on an internet forum as we do not know your body shape or dimensions and even less how comfortable you feel when on a certain bike. You need to go to a bike shop and get them to see that a bike fits you properly and there you can also test ride the bike. I think the moral of the story here is that UNLESS you know EXACTLY how a bike fits when buying a bike on line you may as well go pi$$ in the wind as saving £20 will mean you end up spending a shed load more trying to rectify your tightness and ignorance. I am sure Evans can get your sorted out as they carry a wide range of makes of bikes and models.
I would prefer if it you would stay out of this topic until you get off your high horse.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do spend most of my time in the Hoods. I have been commuting on the Tricross for 4 years and I go into Europe every summer for a week or 2 doing some light touring.
I am wearing a splint on my right hand as I think I may have RSI and sometimes I struggle changing gear on the STI's. The idea of getting a flat bar bike was on the assumption that I can replace the flat bar with a butterfly. I am happy with the riding a position on the Tricross and I thought putting a butterfly on may make me happy.
It sounds like you know what you want, just need to find the right bike. Go to Evans with your ID and bank card and have some test rides. They do interest free credit too which always makes purchasing simpler if funds not immediately available

OP
OP
I

insurin

It sounds like you know what you want, just need to find the right bike. Go to Evans with your ID and bank card and have some test rides. They do interest free credit too which always makes purchasing simpler if funds not immediately available
I think you are right. I reckon if I put butterfly bars on my Tricross I would be happy. I was just trying to find out if the Sirrus was the same frame setup as the Tricross and if it was I would test ride it and then put some butterfly bars on that.

cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the specs on the Specialized site, compare the measurements side by side. Get geeky and use a spreadsheet

I don't really know what butterfly bars are if honest. The higher Sirrus models come with bar ends, or used to

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans do have a very flexible test ride policy (costs a penny on card, can essentially be as long as needed), I don't know about EBC

OP
OP
I

insurin

update:

Yesterday I popped over to Evans cycles in Manchester (chill factor) and test rode a Specialized Sirrus. The bike he gave me to test ride was the Elite. I am only considering the standard or Sport but he said the geometry of the different models of Sirrus was the same. This was fine by me as I only wanted to find out how it feels and what size bike I would need to buy if I go ahead.

Anyway, the bike felt great to ride and I decided it was the one. It felt like a better riding position than the Trek but I think the Trek was too small for me even though that was a large. Incidentally the Sirrus I tested was also a large. Those bar grips are very comfy on the handlebar plus the added bar ends to give an extra riding position. The Elite had internal cabling, what’s the deal with that? How do you go about replacing cable?

I have also just bought a stem riser/extender one of these
FB9opk1CaX8dFhif8iHebk_8kZTdtRL_WWUtf5XKRjR6Jcbk_2OfR80WCrV8Ke-5znQa7S3dk1JlexTYd4ntJsjOWCbQCptQ.png
for my Tricross. It feels much better although I must say I have only sat on my bike in the kitchen with it on. I’ll test it this week.

My employer is about to do another round of cycle to work so I may get a better model Sirrus than the Sport.

cheers

Top Bottom