Specialized Tarmac SL6 vs Trek Domane SL5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've changed my mind again and now looking at these road bikes:

Specialized Tarmac SL6 - RRP: £2750

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/t...299?color=294113-175299&searchText=90621-6144

screenshot_622.png

Trek Domane SL5 - RRP: £2550

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/.../domane-sl-5/p/28311/?colorCode=reddark_black

it?$responsive-pjpg$&cache=on,on&wid=1920&hei=1440.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdSyeyYKsNw

I currently prefer the Trek as I prefer the frame colour and it's also cheaper.
But please let me know what you think.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 11
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My mate has a purple Domain and it looks nice, but that's still a lot of wonga for just 105 !

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I can see that the Giant Defy Advanced 1 is £2299 which has an Ultegra groupset. I can't get over the hideous green colour of the frame. What an odd colour for a road bike frame!

MY21DefyADV1_ColorBMossGreen.jpg

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra is £2700:

View attachment 558466
But again I don't like the frame colour. I'm starting to think that Specialized and Trek are overpriced.
Never heard of Ribble or Dolan. I was only considering the major manufacturers: Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Canyon.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Both bikes are VERY expensive for what they are... but I'd go Trek out of this two.

You do know it's a dreadful time to buy a new bike don't you? :biggrin:

I'd wait until next year. TBH I'm after a gravel / cross bike and I am waiting as everything new is full price and everything second hand is crazy money!

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
screenshot_624.png

But again I don't like the frame colour. I'm starting to think that Specialized and Trek are overpriced.
Never heard of Ribble or Dolan. I was only considering the major manufacturers: Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Canyon

vickster

Legendary Member

View attachment 558466
Never heard of Ribble or Dolan. I was only considering the major manufacturers: Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Canyon.
Why? You'll get far less value buying from a global conglomerate which big marketing teams especially in a time of global bike shortages ;) The US brands have always been overpriced IMO (not least to pay those big sponsorship costs ;) )

Canyon you can't test ride in the UK, so that makes them less appealing

You could also look at other smaller brands sold in the UK that could be less costly - Focus, Forme, Cube, Scott, Merida, Genesis, Orbea, Boardman etc

Are you a newbie to cycling if you've not heard of Ribble or Dolan?

What colours do you actually like?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I love the colour of the red Trek above. I also really like the colour of the Domane SL7:

it?$responsive-pjpg$&cache=on,on&wid=1920&hei=1440.jpg

Sadly outside of my budget.

I'm in no rush to buy - I can wait well into next year. Yes I consider myself still a newbie to cycling.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never heard of Ribble or Dolan. I was only considering the major manufacturers: Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Canyon
The latter may be all made in same factory as Giant who make for many of big name brands.
Ribble and Dolan source their frames in the Far East and don't have to pay for slick advertising, promotions and other overheads thus offering better prices.

Top Bottom