Specialized Tarmac SL6 vs Trek Domane SL5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do see that on paper but are the frames/fork as good or just cheap Chinese copies of old designs?
I read all the reviews of the latest 'Carbon lay up' and in Bianchi's case 'Space technology' or whatever it is, certain brands endurance bikes offer all manor of comfort enhancing techniques so is it all bull or is there more to it?
Giant for example off lifetime frame warranty I believe.
Regards.

ade towell

Does anyone else agree with this viewpoint?
Me.
There is groupset snobbery alongside brand snobbery. An expensive cocktail.
If you have the money then there is no harm in a bit of bling, but being a tight arse I always want to get best value for my money. I am very happy with 105 and other than a tiny reduction in weight, there is no real mechanical difference between 105 and Ultegra .I have tried both

vickster

Legendary Member
I saw 2 Ribble's on my ride this morning. They can't be that rare in my parts. Will keep a look out for Dolan's.
are you up north and relatively close to Ribble?
I rarely see them down here but lots of Trek, Giant,Cannondale, Specialized...probably because there are a plethora of dealers. There'll be regional differences

As above, most reviews say the same.

Some have said what's the point in even having Ultegra in the lineup as the latest 105 is so good, obviously if your after Di2 then Ultegra is the entry point.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Yes, relatively close. Ribble are 38 miles away.

are you up north and relatively close to Ribble?
I rarely see them down here but lots of Trek, Giant,Cannondale, Specialized...probably because there are a plethora of dealers. There'll be regional differences

vickster

Legendary Member
There you, they also sell a lot of bikes and have done for a lot of years.
I live a mile from Pearson’s, but other than the one that is about 3 feet from me right now, I rarely see them, maybe one on a busy Saturday in SW London!

mustang1

Guru
Those are indeed fast and comfortable bikes. But for the same price, I would get a scooter (maybe a Honda) which is even faster and even more comfortable!

But if you must insist on getting a non-engine bike, I like the Trek. I'm not a fan of the seat stays on the Spesh. The colour on the Trek is bolder and I hope I dont get bored of it after a while though i think i'll be ok. The guys who posted the green giant (haha) and the orange cannondale dont do it for me (looks wise - eyew overly sloping top tubes... gross) but the cyan Trek is very nice).

Say, that Spesh also has slightl bulbous brifters though i'm not sure if that's just a weird angle the photo was taken at; I havent checked specs, i'm going purely on looks here. :bicycle:

mustang1

Guru
Maybe the PlanetX is underpriced. Aha! Actually IDK. If all the components are the same, then it comes to marketing and quality of the frame. Marketing I know about, but i cannot tell if planet X frame is better/worse than Spesh. If they are all the same, why not get a Carrera. <shrugs>

The Dolan Tuono looks good to me. I'm definitely going to visit Dolan since they are so local.
Do love the look of the red Trek Domane SL5 but the 105 groupset is a deal breaker.
All my bikes have had 105, even my Condor was 105.
My Whyte is SRAM
Wifes bike is Deore
Lads bike same I think.
Never had a minutes bother with any of them. Just get on and go. They all change sweetly, all made well, and all mechanically sound as I am sure next bike will be. 105 will be spot on

mustang1

Guru
Agree too. Only ever had 105 and it’s been perfect on every bike. I only specked Ultegra this time because I could, but not for any mechanical or superiority benefit
I've had a properly set up Ultegra. It's been perfect.
I've had a properly set up 105. It's been perfect.
I've had a properly set up Tiagra. It's been perfect.
I've had a properly set up Sora. It's been perfect. (not kidding, it really was very good, and that was over a decade ago!)
In fact, a properly set up Sora is way better than a cockadoodledo Ultegra. It's all about market segmentation. If you can pay more tax, the govt wants you to. If you can pay more for your groupset, the companies want you to. If you can pay for a blingey brand, and so on.

The reason I buy a higher end groupset is because it usually comes on bikes which have more appealing colours. Damn those marketing people!!

Top Bottom