Specialized Tarmac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
I'm looking to buy a bike immediately as I have just received my compensation money from a recent road incident. While I had hoped to buy a bike from my LBS, they and many other brands/shops, are out of stock of 2016 bikes and 2017 won't come in for a month or so.

Evans have got some good discounts on Spech bikes so I've been looking at the Tarmac. However, the staff there seem very keen to sell the Roubaix so I just wanted others opinions on it.

My last bike was an alloy roadie with fairly racy geometry, it wasn't marketed as Sportive or Endurance. On London roads I would feel every bump and after long rides I would often be in a little discomfort. I generally put that down to the frame design and my level of fitness.

So would a Tarmac be a smoother ride or would I benefit more from the Roubaix? I'm looking at the Tarmac Sport.

It would be used for a mixture of commuting (14m each way, 3-4 times a week), club runs and the occasional sportive (I had a ride up the Ventoux planned a few weeks ago but couldn't go because of the broken collarbone from the aforementioned road incident.)

Cheers

Just tagging a few people from other relevant threads. Isn't there a guy on here who is the resident authority on Specialized?

@iamRayRay
@gmw492
@ianrauk

Last edited:
Go and try them out. Evans lets you test ride for a penny.

BB

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
Go and try them out. Evans lets you test ride for a penny.
BB
Yeah, I think its £50 isn't it. The Tarmac is in stock now, they *might* get some Roubaix in stock in a few weeks. Might be sold out though. The thought was try the Tarmac, if its nice, buy it. If not, wait. Its killing me getting the train to work at the moment. A 45min delay at Waterloo this evening :cursing:

Yeah, I think its £50 isn't it. The Tarmac is in stock now, they *might* get some Roubaix in stock in a few weeks. Might be sold out though. The thought was try the Tarmac, if its nice, buy it. If not, wait. Its killing me getting the train to work at the moment. A 45min delay at Waterloo this evening :cursing:

Sort of... you can reserve a bike for £50, no strings attached... but you can test ride if in-stock in-store for 1 pence on your debit card :smile:

BB

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
How about sigma or spesh concept store in Kingston. 20 mins from Worcester park :smile:

I popped into the Concept store (which is confusingly an extension of Sigma) last Sunday, they have little to no stock. I guess they don't have the buying power of Evans.

How about sigma or spesh concept store in Kingston. 20 mins from Worcester park :smile:

25% off spesh @ evans at the mo... I'm guessing the Concept stores won't be quite so generous.. bb

simon.r

Person
I test rode a Roubaix last year and didn't like it. I appear to be in a minority, but for me it just felt too 'soggy', especially when climbing. I'd definitely test one before committing as it will be very different to your previous bike.

Interestingly, the guy in the shop said I wasn't the only person who'd test ridden the Roubaix and made a similar comment. He suggested the Tarmac would be more suitable for me, but for various reasons I didn't test ride one.

OP
OP
2pies

2pies

Veteran
I test rode a Roubaix last year and didn't like it. I appear to be in a minority, but for me it just felt too 'soggy', especially when climbing. I'd definitely test one before committing as it will be very different to your previous bike.

Interestingly, the guy in the shop said I wasn't the only person who'd test ridden the Roubaix and made a similar comment. He suggested the Tarmac would be more suitable for me, but for various reasons I didn't test ride one.

Interesting. I do love a good climb, it the most challenging aspect of cycling.

Broadside

Guru
I've got a Tarmac, my previous roadbike was comfort orientated Specialized Secteur.

The Tarmac is great, I find it very comfortable for long rides, I have done quite a few 100+ Mile rides on it and cycled it from London to Paris, Edinburgh to London and a fair bit of (non loaded) touring around UK, Belgium and France. The Tarmac is a race oriented bike but you can set it up to be very comfortable if you want.

I have tried other similar category bikes from Trek, Cube, Pinarello, Giant etc, but I always feel at home on Specialized bikes and the Tarmac is my favorite of them all.

Top Bottom