Specialized Tricross for LEJog?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aberal

Guru
Certainly. Needs road tyres though.

Norm

It's the closest that Specialized do to a tourer. Given the size of Spesh, if they think it's good enough to fill that space, I'd be happy to say yes to that question. :thumbsup:

wintonbina

Über Member
Yes to the bike doing it. Don't know about you to pass comment ^_^but if you can master the bloody hills of Tiverton then you will find it a doddle(ish)! Tony

donnieban

Tricross was suggested to me(for LEJOG) by several LBS. Robust, low geared and rack compatible and able to mix it with the best of them.

doog

did you buy it? I have a Tricross and have a done a few tours including Spain back to the UK fully loaded. The only upgrade I would recommend is the wheels if its still on the stock wheels ( or at least just the rear wheel if you are on a budget)

donnieban

I was all set to buy till my employer pulled out of the cycle scheme......
Ended up buying a 2 year old TREK 520 tourer which seems good but will end up replacing the wheels n drivetrain, out of preference - so almost back to square 1.

gary in derby

did you buy it? I have a Tricross and have a done a few tours including Spain back to the UK fully loaded. The only upgrade I would recommend is the wheels if its still on the stock wheels ( or at least just the rear wheel if you are on a budget)
can you enlighten me as to why a change of wheels?

david1701

Its unlikely the stock wheels on a Tricross will be suitable for a fully loaded tour. Mine certainly weren't (cheap32 spoke Alex rims). At the very least replace the rear with something stronger, hand made and with 36 spokes.

The man has a point if you're carrying a lot of weight, I've kicked mine out of true twice, admittedly both on twisty coastal single track and once with a rack bag over :tongue: but still a weak spot

suffolkcindy

Sorry missed something out. We're doing it unsupported. Do you think it'll still be up to it?

YES yes and yes...my specilized tricross just did 4000km unsupported round SE Asia on rough roads with size 32 Panaracer pasela tourguard tyres (no punctures). It was brilliant BUT the brakes are useless so I would suggest changing the brake pads for something more substantial. Apart from that, it is ready to roll....

Top Bottom