Specialized Tricross SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Pearson are seling this at much reduced price - sorry, at work and can't do link. Just thought some may be interested.

Cope

I'm definitely looking into this bike - the ability to take panniers and mudguards are a big plus. A little worried about some comments on this forum about poor breaks though. Any one used this, or got any experiences?

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Mine arrived yesterday and I've just finished building it up. First spin will be later this evening ;)

Does seem exceptionally good value that. I await your report Noodley, I could be tempted by an SS like that.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Crackle said:
Does seem exceptionally good value that. I await your report Noodley, I could be tempted by an SS like that.

Only went for a few miles to tweak the setup but very impressed with it. When I built it up it looked very long and big (I am 6'4" and have large bikes, but this looked bigger than I expected). I put the saddle fairly low to begin with level with the bars, but had to raise it quite a bit during the ride to get a more comfortable position so maybe it looked bigger than it was due to the curved top tube.

I'll go out again tomorrow for a wee while and let you know how it goes now that I have it set up to my liking.

Tharg2007

Veteran
SPECIALIZED TRICROSS SINGLE 2008 RRP 450 SAVE 175 NOW 274.99
MODEL YEAR - 2008

COLOUR - GREY GREEN

NORMAL PRICE - 450.00 SAVE 175.00
SPECIAL OFFER PRICE - GBP 274.99

SIZES - 49 52 54 56 58 61 CM

Pickwick

Many thanks Noodley a great tip. I just broke my Pompino and I'm going to get one of these to replace it. Can you say more about sizing? I'm 6'3" and the geometry figures would suggest the 61cm although Pearson's recommendations wouldn't. Have you got a decent drop from seat to stem now as set up on your bike?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Pickwick said:
Can you say more about sizing? I'm 6'3" and the geometry figures would suggest the 61cm although Pearson's recommendations wouldn't. Have you got a decent drop from seat to stem now as set up on your bike?

I'm 6'4" & have the triple version & it I guess it would be the right size for you too, depending on inside leg etc. IIRC my saddle is raised by about 4" & gives a decent drop from seat to stem.

Pickwick

Thanks Soltydog - I just ordered a 61. The 58 would have come up way too short for me apart from anything else.

Ed - I was exaggerating a bit to justify new purchase! I have one of the early Pomps with the dodgy chainline. I followed the publicised bodge at the time (different BB) to allow fixing and it has given me several years of stout service. But eventually the chain jumped off, provoked by a big bump in the road at speed. The chain broke without apparent drama, but before it did it pulled the chainstays about 10 or 11 mm out of line. I have been cursing over it for a while trying to straighten it out without doing the proper thing and having it apart and beginning again with a stripped frame. Then I saw the Tricross offer. Too good to pass up, especially as the Pomp, even if straight, needs work - and I wouldn't be confident riding it fixed anymore. I did love it though.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Sorry for delay in replying, I've been out on my bike :smile:

I went out for a few miles last night and loved it. The only thing I may change is the stem, which at 120mm is just slightly too long for my preferred riding position...nothing much but I reckon 100mm stem would help. I have very long legs and not quite as long body so most of my bikes have shorter stems then came with the bike. But it was only the first ride on it so I'll give it a few more rides before deciding as I may get used to a different position.

As for the few miles I did, I loved every minute of it. I (and others) had thought 42*18 would be a spinny gearing-wise but I found it to be ideal. A few of my clubmates who ride fixed reckoned 42*16 would be better - but unlike fixed a singlespeed does not have the 'advantage' of the crank arm turning continuously and pressure needs to be applied to turn the cranks (I hope that make sense?)

I was looking forward to going out again today, but work and home life got in the way. I have stuck it in the back of my car, along with some kit and shoes, just in case I get the chance for a few miles next week at lunchtimes :biggrin:

Next thing to look forward to: the old frame currently being made into a fixed :ohmy:

Pickwick said:
Ed - I was exaggerating a bit to justify new purchase!

No worries! I think I'd be tempted to do the same thing.

That said, I have had dreams about owning a Pompino. However, there's already enough bikes in this stable!

Hmmm... Pompino dreams...

Tharg2007

Veteran
Ive thought about the pompino too but it would need blasting and respraying as I dont like the whole pompino on-one look, never mind what pompino means :S. The other thing that I'm not sure about what tubing is used on this and other fixed steel frames like the pearson hanzo, fillmore, paddywagon etc. is it value for money?

Top Bottom