Specialized Tricross SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
longers said:
If it's singlespeed how would you convert it to fixed? Would that require a new wheel?

its probably got a flip/flop hub, thats threaded on both sides, one side with a freewheel thread, the other threaded to take a sprocket and a lockring. Fixed threaded will also take a freewheel though so double fixed can have one of each either side too.

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks. Very tempted at that price - even though I shouldn't.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The word Pompino has an excellent meaning. I wouldnt mind one, but they only have them in small at the moment and they use differet brakes to what i have, so they have those silly mounts on for the brakes.

Fixedwheelnut

I got one just before New Year and run it 42 x 16 fixed, very happy with it.

I looked at the spec sizes on the Specialized website http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?a=b&minisite=10028&spid=32208&language=US and decided to go with Pearsons sizing as the top tube measurements came out the same as my other bikes.
I am 6' 2" and usually ride old steel 23"-24" frames and got the 58cm Tricross, being longer in the leg I decided to have more seatpost rather than be stretched out on the top tube.

peejay78

i ordered one, even though i shouldn't. it's the perfect commuter for the muddy lanes of zummerzet, and you can put racks all over it.

why the hum and ha? it's the bargain of the century.

GrahamG

Guru
peejay78 said:
i ordered one, even though i shouldn't. it's the perfect commuter for the muddy lanes of zummerzet, and you can put racks all over it.

why the hum and ha? it's the bargain of the century.

So how many bikes is that now? :ohmy:

Jelly Mould

Über Member
I ordered two (a 58cm and a 61cm) but later cancelled one. The one I cancelled was intended for me - but I'd never manage on the hills round here. If I lived somewhere flatter I'd certainly snap one up - they're really excellent value for money. I'm very impressed with the one that I ordered for someone else.

peejay78

GrahamG said:
So how many bikes is that now? :biggrin:

funnily enough, i did this on a sticky before i pressed "buy"... trying to justify bike things. 4 months of filthy riding to work and back and winter rides in the mendips have convinced me that i need a simple, new, versatile mile-eater.

colnago super 1979 - heritage bike, summer rides, looking at, caressing
holdsworth zephyr 1953 path - vintage project, for riding when thinking about existential matters.
condor acciaio - for out-and-out road rides, ascents of mont ventoux
condor fratello - for touring through the french countryside, escapism, joyousness
bob jackson - previous fixed commuter, new restoration project, then possibly for sale
roy swinnerton - out-and-out track iron, for newport, some city riding
tricross - the new commuter, also for trails.

Origamist

Legendary Member
peejay78 said:
funnily enough, i did this on a sticky before i pressed "buy"... trying to justify bike things. 4 months of filthy riding to work and back and winter rides in the mendips have convinced me that i need a simple, new, versatile mile-eater.

holdsworth zephyr 1953 path - vintage project, for riding when thinking about existential matters.
condor fratello - for touring through the french countryside, escapism, joyousness
bob jackson - previous fixed commuter, new restoration project, then possibly for sale

Still no Strida, Peejay?!

GrahamG

Guru
peejay78 said:

Actually, on looking at that list, it does seem entirely justified to me. That's worrying!

Out of interest, what's your commute like? Am I right in thinking that you work for a LEA and travel around a bit?

peejay78

haha, no strida as yet...

not much travelling about, although 16 mile ride, usually back, sometimes in and back (32 miles), a370, some dirtym scummy, filthy country lanes.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Does this low angle, Man Ray-esque image not tempt you, Peejay?
(Factoid: Virilio, that old arch-urbanist, based his concept of dromology on the Strida 5.0)

3196843485_a673eb3067_o.jpg

Top Bottom