Specialized Tricross SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
peejay78 said:
belt drive? please. even paul virilio can see the limitations.

Eschew the easy Leavisite criticism, Peejay and embrace the post-modern world of the single-speed folder...

Hope life is treating you well in the sticks...

Did you take that picture, Origamist?

The Tricross comes with a 63" gear, which on slicks I'd imagine to be fine in moderate hillage for most riders.

The steepest climb I've attempted yet on my Hanzo which sports a 79" gear was up out of the Ironbridge Gorge into Madeley. I can't remember the gradient but drivers are warned to use a low gear on the descent.

Anyway, two Tricross singles have arrived in this household. One for me and one for my partner. I've built her bike up, with rack and mudguards and although I had to crack off the chain ring bolts to even out the chain tension, it seems like a cracking good machine for the money.

Mine is still boxed. I've got an 18" fixed cog to go on it (it comes with a flip flop hub) so I'm going to stick with the low gear and use it for the winter weather, hilly rides and pootling.

That's it now though, no more bike related purchases for the rest of the year.

peejay78

ed_o_brain said:
Did you take that picture, Origamist?

The Tricross comes with a 63" gear, which on slicks I'd imagine to be fine in moderate hillage for most riders.

The steepest climb I've attempted yet on my Hanzo which sports a 79" gear was up out of the Ironbridge Gorge into Madeley. I can't remember the gradient but drivers are warned to use a low gear on the descent.

That's it now though, no more bike related purchases for the rest of the year.

couple of things - 63" inch gear is very spinny and i agree, should be fine fro all but the most sever cols. whilst we're cocksizing, i ride a 74" over redhill in bristol every day. i think maybe i should gear down a little.

oh and lastly, that should be it for me, forever.

now, how can i get hold of a hetchins

peejay78

Origamist said:
Eschew the easy Leavisite criticism, Peejay and embrace the post-modern world of the single-speed folder...

Hope life is treating you well in the sticks...
the sticks? once you get used to the constant sense of duration, it's fine.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Damn! I want one but I've already got a cross bike in the bathroom, a road bike in the bedroom and a TT bike in a cupboard, two in the shed and no room for more there (although I could try asking the landlord to move his stuff out of it..).

longers

Legendary Member
Rode mine home today :biggrin:
I did keep trying to change gear and clip out of the toeclips :biggrin:

Will put skinnier tyres, spd's and a 16t fixed sprocket on it tomorrow (first time fixed for me).

The chap at Pearsons said I don't need a lockring for the sprocket. I've no idea - I presume he's given me good advice?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
longers said:
Rode mine home today :biggrin:
I did keep trying to change gear and clip out of the toeclips :biggrin:

Will put skinnier tyres, spd's and a 16t fixed sprocket on it tomorrow (first time fixed for me).

The chap at Pearsons said I don't need a lockring for the sprocket. I've no idea - I presume he's given me good advice?

Its two ways of thinking. I personally wouldnt ride without a lockring on. Some people will do. Aslong as you dont leg brake much and have a rear brake on then in theory you dont need one.
If you want to leg break and think you may do some skids then put a lockring on.
The thing with not having one on, is if the chain comes off and gets caught between spokes and sprocket then the sprocket will undo and the wheel wont lock up.
When i first had my fixed, the sprocket wasnt on tight enough and when i skidded, the sprocket would undo to the locking, then when i put forward pressure on the sprocket tightened back up. It did it untill i put clipless on, then i jammed it straight on and it never undid again untill i took it off:laugh::biggrin:
Edit: remember, any numpty can turn a big gear, it takes a real man to spin a gear :biggrin::smile:

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks Joe, might be better to pop one on then eh?

Edit: been round the block a few times just now and it seems well stuck on for now, will see how it fairs over the w/e.

peejay78

i'd stick a lockring on there. but if not skidding you 'should' be fine.

i got home - no tricross. sat down, knock at the door - my neighbour took it in! now i have bike! amm building it up!

god it's exciting. lovely shade of green too.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
peejay78 said:
i'd stick a lockring on there. but if not skidding you 'should' be fine.

i got home - no tricross. sat down, knock at the door - my neighbour took it in! now i have bike! amm building it up!

god it's exciting. lovely shade of green too.

But skidding is pretty cool:becool:

peejay78

well, you can skid with the rear brake.

locking it up with thick knobblies on there is pretty tricky.

i've built mine. took off those fanny levers. stuck a 15 fixed cog on.

it's WEIRD. but cool. can't wait to take it across the fields.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Noodley said:
Next thing to look forward to: the old frame currently being made into a fixed ;)

...which was completed today, made up on a Benotto frame. 42*16 gearing. Total cost: Bottle of Islay malt (which was special offer), and 5 quid each for brake levers and a chain.

Pity it's blowing a gale and due to have snow tonight.

peejay78

i rode mine to bath and back this morning, dodging early hailstorms under railway bridges, that sort of thing.

it's a real mile-eater, very comfortable and fast.

a couple of things - with mudguards and overshoes the toe overlap is a bit nasty. it's perfect as a load-carrying machine, but it took a bit of getting used to the change in centre of balance and the heaviness of the rear of the bike; being used too light whippy fixed wheel, with stuff on my back, it changes how i ride.

the brakes are good, but need a bit of fiddliness to get them adjusted. never used v-brakes before, good stopping power.

i swapped the saddle (the specialized assripper that came with the bike) for a rolls straight away. i also flipped the stem, but i really don't think this made a tiny bit of difference. i did it anyway. just so i could say, 'i flipped the stem'.

i'm riding it with a 15t fixed cog and the 42 stock sugino chainring. i think this works out at around 74", which is fine as long as you not fully laden and aren't doing anything too hilly. i have a 16t freewheel on the other side.

i also swapped the rear tyre for a 28c slick gatorskin, and the front for a 23c hardcase, both of which i had lying around.

it's basically a fixed wheel touring bike now, and i am mightily impressed with its capabilities, and a little staggered at how spectacularly cheap it was.

blorg

My own Tricross from Pearson came with a lockring already attached to the other side of the hub. I'm sticking on black SKS Chromoplastics, black Tortec Ultralite rack and 700x25c Gatorskins. Although I'm very tempted to give it a go off-road on the knobblies too. I really should have bought two :biggrin:

Top Bottom