Specs and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Your local oakley dealer will be able to provide perscription riding glasses.
For about £300, with just one lens in a tint

I just wear normal glasses if not sunny. If sunny, I have some sporty frames from specsavers with the photochronmatic lenses. I got these and a pair of normal specs for under £200

***Thread Resurrection Alert***

I just wear my ordinary specs. They are photochromic, which is a bonus.

Now, my question is: how do you go about seeing in the rain? Mostly, my own answer to this is never to cycle in the rain, but living in Tavistock, applying this rule means almost never going out the door! So what's the answer to that particular conundrum?

Tim Hall

Now, my question is: how do you go about seeing in the rain? Mostly, my own answer to this is never to cycle in the rain, but living in Tavistock, applying this rule means almost never going out the door! So what's the answer to that particular conundrum?
Contact lenses.

Contact lenses.
Great until you need bifocals.

Tim Hall

Great until you need bifocals.
I've got varifocals for my "main" glasses. When I'm doing outdoorsy stuff in the rain I go for contact lenses and pack a cheap pair of reading glasses as I've got age related longsight. I'll use them for mending punctures, reading menus or maps, that kind of thing.

Bifocal contact lenses are available with long and short sight arranged in concentric rings. Smart signal processing by the Mk1 human brain sorts out the image.

fatjel

Veteran
I wear my varifocal specs , never had a problem
I have some prescription sunglasses I wear sometimes but menu reading is tricky

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Hat/cap with a brim. Simples.

img_9133-jpg.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've got varifocal lenses in RX inserts (in glasses I got from Planet X with 4 sets of interchangeable lenses). I use the photochromatic lenses which also have a hydrophobic coating, which (to my amazement) actually works - so that's the answer to how do you go about seeing in the rain - hydrophobic coating. The glasses were one of PX's short lived offers, never to be seen again, less than £40 IIRC, and the RX lenses cost me about £50 from the 'back street' (but excellent) optician we used at the time.

Top Bottom