Specs and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
I recently got some glasses, and am wondering what you guys with specs do on your bikes. I get that there are cycling glasses available, but those go for £200+. The glasses I have were only £30, because I got a student voucher.

I have the option of not wearing them at all, since the nature of my condition is astigmatism - one eye is good at distance, and the other can barely resolve detail at 30cm - but wearing the glasses is like life in HD. Could I just wear them?

They're just those simple metal designer glasses, so they don't have any coatings.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes you can just wear your normal glasses no problems.
You can get prescription cycling/sports glasses for far less then £200 if you look around.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes they would do the job, but you would also need to by prescription inserts would you not?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ugh, no! Those double lens jobs look naff and have four surfaces on which mist can collect.

I got these from TK Max for £9.99 and got them glazed to my prescription in the cheapest plastic for £50.

You can tell it's cheap low-density plastic by the thickness but that doesn't show. They are nice and streamlined and close fitting so they protect my eyes well and keep cold air out. If you enquire, somewhere in your town you will find the back-street abortionist to whom the opticians send their repairs when they have failed to con their customers into buying a replacement pair. These guys can work miracles with solder, glue and tiny screws and they will know somebody who will glaze the frames up for you for small money. You can also get plastic lenses tinted to any colour.

IMG-20121229-00741_zps10605a77.jpg

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I recently got some glasses, and am wondering what you guys with specs do on your bikes. I get that there are cycling glasses available, but those go for £200+. The glasses I have were only £30, because I got a student voucher.

I have the option of not wearing them at all, since the nature of my condition is astigmatism - one eye is good at distance, and the other can barely resolve detail at 30cm - but wearing the glasses is like life in HD. Could I just wear them?

They're just those simple metal designer glasses, so they don't have any coatings.

I just wear my ordinary specs. If you have glass lenses there is a tiny risk a stone flying up could smash the glass. My present specs have plastic lenses but I have ridden with glass lenses in the past.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Ugh, no! Those double lens jobs look naff and have four surfaces on which mist can collect.

I got these from TK Max for £9.99 and got them glazed to my prescription in the cheapest plastic for £50.

You can tell it's cheap low-density plastic by the thickness but that doesn't show. They are nice and streamlined and close fitting so they protect my eyes well and keep cold air out. If you enquire, somewhere in your town you will find the back-street abortionist to whom the opticians send their repairs when they have failed to con their customers into buying a replacement pair. These guys can work miracles with solder, glue and tiny screws and they will know somebody who will glaze the frames up for you for small money. You can also get plastic lenses tinted to any colour.

How are those with the peripheral vision? It looks like the bezel might take off a lot of my view, and perhaps make it harder to do a shoulder check, too.

I just wear my ordinary specs. If you have glass lenses there is a tiny risk a stone flying up could smash the glass. My present specs have plastic lenses but I have ridden with glass lenses in the past.

That's sort of the thing - they are glass, so there is that risk of them smashing. If I fall, that's another hazard - could end up with a faceful.

(Also, the problem of rain getting on my glasses when it starts pouring down, as it does.)

I use RX inserts no problem.

That sounds like a good solution. I might do that and then take it to one of those repair shops Globalti mentioned and get them glazed there. Hopefully I could get something decent for £60 or so.

I am willing to go up to £100, if that means I'll get a good quality pair of glasses. But those £250 Oakley's are definitely out of reach.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There ya go! Pop the lenses out and get 'em glazed to your prescription.

Close-fitting frames don't obstruct your vision at all, you see right around the frames.

snailracer

Über Member
There are different types of plastic used for lenses, the toughest is polycarbonate, as used in kids' glasses, safety glasses and proper cycling glasses. Polycarbonate has a refractive index of 1.58, which is useful to remember as the brochures often use cryptic trade names. It is also possible to get impact-resistant lenses that are made of other materials in a sandwiched construction, but solid polycarbonate is the most common.

If, like me, you are quite short-sighted, prescription wrap-around lenses end up heavy and thick around the edges. The thick edges distort vision and can be disorientating if you swap between wrap-arounds and normal-shaped glasses. For this reason, I wear normal glasses that are large enough to cover my eye when my head is tilted slightly downwards, as it is when riding. Good coverage is important for blocking wind, sun and flying stones.

Proper cycling glasses have excellent coverage and peripheral vision, better nose/ear grips that don't slide around as much, and many are specifically tested for a defined level of protection against flying stones. Normal glasses with polycarbonate lenses are far better than nothing against flying stones, but the degree of protection is indeterminate, as the lens may be thinner, even if it is made of polycarbonate.

Some normal glasses frames have very thick arms which can block peripheral vision, so avoid these.

In terms of tint (for bright daytime use only!) my preference would be for polarized (which is NOT the same as Polaroid, which is a brand name) - this is technically not a tint, but it does cut out half the light, which, for me, is sufficiently dark for comfort on bright days (in Britain, at least) without making me completely blind if my ride is unexpectedly delayed into the hours of darkness. More importantly, polarized lenses reduce reflections, for cycling I find this advantageous for (1) spotting potholes lurking under puddles of water, and (2) seeing through car rear windows. Unfortunately, you can't get polarized lenses that aren't inherently tinted.

For long rides that extend from day to night, I take 2 pairs of prescription glasses with me, one is clear and the other polarized/tinted, but both are similar in lens size and shape so my eyes don't have to adapt to differences in distortion.

Incidently, I don't wear polarized glasses when driving in the rain, as I want to be able to see and avoid the puddles on the road and am less concerned about the potholes that may be lurking beneath them.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got this set of three different colours + the prescription adapter when it was a bit cheaper than it is now.
I got one clear lens so I could call them "industrial safety glasses" and charge them to my company. Since October the clear lens is the only one I've used.

matthat

Über Member
I got this set of three different colours + the prescription adapter when it was a bit cheaper than it is now.
I got one clear lens so I could call them "industrial safety glasses" and charge them to my company. Since October the clear lens is the only one I've used.
I like your thinking about charging company!! Don't think i'd get away with it!! :sad:

Custom24

Über Member

I've not yet gone for proper cycling specs, although I probably will at some stage.

I have two observations

1. I had a nice pair of designer titanium rimless frames which broke, and it may have been due to cycling (helmet straps placing strain on the frames). For this reason, I now wear a more substantial thicker framed pair, despite the peripheral vision argument (although in my case, there isn't that much difference)

2. My commute is extremely mucky, and I regularly turn up looking shocking at work. Once or twice, I've had muck in my eye, being thrown up under the glasses. This is the reason I'd like a proper pair. It depends on your commute...

Top Bottom