Speed Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Odyssey

Anyone ever set one off whilst cycling? Is it possible?

Or am I the only one childish enough to have that as one of my aspirations in life?

rikki

Legendary Member
How would you know if you set it off?

Unless you've got your name and address on the back of your jersey.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I presume he means the ones that flash up the speed limit.... I have secret desire to set one off ... but I've yet to find a 20 mph one on a nice big hill :biggrin: and I've absolutely no chance setting off one with a 30 limit :blush:.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I guess you'd see the flash residually or maybe do it at night. Maybe a cyclist is not large enough to set the camera off but I seem to recall a scooter is so maybe I'm wrong.

mondobongo

Über Member
Would love to get a Gatso to fire off at me on the bike, would think you would need to be in the middle of the lane and about 6mph over the limit. If they pick up a motorbike no reason why it shouldn't pick up a cyclist.

Christopher

Über Member
Odyssey said:
Anyone ever set one off whilst cycling? Is it possible?
Yes - in France, in a 50km/h limit at the bottom of a long hill. I know it flashed as it was facing me. Very satisfying. There was no car behind me so I went for it (didn't want an innocent motorist to get nabbed).

There's one in Preston I have my eye on - 30 miles per hour limit on a downhill stretch, on the A6 just north of the Ribble. One for the early morning though as it's a rather busy road.

My other amition is to exceed 60mph on a bicycle, managed 52mph before getting too scared...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've seen a camera picture, which was set off by a pigeon flying past the camera, so yes.

There's one near Witton Park in Blackburn, on a steepish hill. I think it's on Buncer Lane. I'm going to go over on the road bike one day and have a go at setting it off.

The slow down signs are usually more sensitive, however they are advisory; I believe actual speed cameras are set at 110% + 2 mph for legal reasons. Whilst I've managed to get the bike to just more than 30 in a 30 zone I never got it in excess of 35mph. The few times I have exceeded 35 has been in a 60 zone.

walker

I've set off those 'slow down' ones before at speeds of up to 36mph. they are great for sprint training if you find it hard to take your eye off the road.
I've come close but never actually set off a speed camera

classic33

Leg End Member
It can be done. Passed a car that had slowed down to avoid setting it off, I passed him & set it off. A629 from Ainley Top, J24 M62, down to Elland.
Thats in a 50 limit.

OP
OP
O

Odyssey

It's not just me then. I know where there is one on a hill and I just know I'll have a reason to pass it one day. I'll be highly disapointed f I can't get the speed.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
In the days before they started closing Greenwhich Park to road traffic at certain times there used to be occasional Police gatso speed checks at the bottom of the hill.
Knowing I can get a good 40mph on this hill with my MTB I once asked a Policeman if he could clock me as I came past but apparently there isn't enough metal on a bike to accurately bounce the radar back.
When I asked if he could clock me if I was wearing a suit of armour he told me to 'P*ss *ff!'.
Fair enough.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The ones near me get confused. If there is a car behind you going slower or faster it sees both and the speed changes. Good to do when your doing 17mph, and the cars are doing 30mph, it goes from 17 to 30 to 17 within seconds, and then just turns off. ;)
Not really tried that hard to set one off yet, keep meaning to though, i always forget they are there and cant get up to speed fast enough.
Not had a speed camera go off, but i have been through a 30mph one doing a tad more, but it hasnt gone off, i think it could be turned off though.

Hugh Jarse

If anyone's doing the Isle of Wight Randonee next month, Portsmouth apparently has just become the first city nationwide to have citywide 20 mph speed limit, so I'm not sure if the speed camera's have been re-calibrated if not ride to the ferry and you should manage to trip the few that are there!

Top Bottom