'Speed Dreams : Fastest Place On Earth'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last edited:

TVC

It was very good, proper engineering.

It looked a bit Heath Robinson to me.....is that proper engineering?

For, as Fred Dibnah, famously called it 'Back Street Mechanic-ing', I'd say it was spot on

After all, everything had to be scrutineered before acceptance, & they'll have very high standards, due to the speeds/fuels involved (ie; the Methanol fuelled contenders)

screenman

Legendary Member
My kids 41, 36 and 26 all enjoy cycling, along with having the enthusiasm to go with it. So to say it is not passed down is very wrong in some cases.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My first experience with cars was changing all the ht leads around on my dads p5 3.5 rover circa 1970 ish ..he seemed to be a little confused as to why his car sudenly didnt work.

and my sister painted his 650 bsa with a tin of council green gloss ..lol..

My first experience with cars was changing all the ht leads around on my dads p5 3.5 rover circa 1970 ish ..he seemed to be a little confused as to why his car sudenly didnt work.

and my sister painted his 650 bsa with a tin of council green gloss ..lol..
Green is in the eye of the beholder. It was Racing green, wasn't it?

D

Deleted member 1258

I enjoyed the program and like the idea that most of the machines came out of back garden sheds, though some of them seemed the size of a small engineering factory with a machine shop to match. A few years ago the engineering company I worked for was heavely involved in the JCB Dieselmax project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_Dieselmax

Here is one I made, not in my bag garden but at work a few years ago:

cylinders2.jpg

That is a beautiful piece of work. But what are we looking at? An engine block made from scratch? CNC'd from 3 solid blocks?
What was the application for it? And finally, why do it if you can simply strip a V10 from a BMW and perhaps modify that if you have to?
Are the pistons and valves and other components then custom made too?

The engine was going to go in a prototype car, but was never all finished. It was a V10 that was going to produce 600hp without turbos. All the exterior parts were completed on the engine but not the internals, but they were based on existing pasts that could be modified and used.
The cylinder heads were machined from 1 piece and then an insert was put in the top and welded in place to make it all water tight while the cases themselves were from one piece.

Top Bottom