Speed hub with Bob trailer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snowy10

Hi
Could anybody comment on towing a Bob trailer with a Speed hub fitted. Is it possible, does it handle the same, etc?
Many thanks.

Don't know about the speedhub, but I have used the BoB with a Sachs 3X7 and it was fine.

The St John Street Cycles (Thorn) list touring with Bob Yak trailers as one of the capabilities designed for in the Catalyst and other models.

Yellow7

Über Member
Hi.
I have the Koolstop 'Wilderbeast' single wheeld trailer, really good to tow as having one wheel just follows without problems. Used weekly for shopping..& even small flat packs from Ikea.

I used the rohloff speedhub on my touring bike & this is just ace, just ace. Best £680 i've spent! I used it last year on a 2500 miles tour & wouldn't look back! I've not [yet] used the trailer with the touring bike but this wouldn't prove any problems at-all, it would be irrelevant as to what drive-train system your using, either derailier or hub gears, there gear systems designed to move weight.
A more important point with a trailer is the build quality of the rear 'A' frame & the drop outs (where the rear axle fixes to the bike), as the trailer, certainly over rough terain, will incerase stress applied on this area. On tarmac roads this shouldn't cause an issue.

Also, depending on what trailer you use, the hitch point between the bike & trailer can (as i have seen) be crap. The ones supplied with my trailer were aluminium, one broke when I slipped off in the snow & another broke as the trailer 'clipped' a large kerb stone. I've since machined some from stainless (calm down weight weenies!)
Hope this helps.;)

We used a bob-alike last year with our Rohloff tandem. You get a special QR skewer with the trailer and you use that instead of the standard skewer.

Wowbagger said:
We used a bob-alike last year with our Rohloff tandem. You get a special QR skewer with the trailer and you use that instead of the standard skewer.

Problem is the width of the trailer "yoke" is fixed.... we have two yokes, one for the recumbents and one for the tandem

Top Bottom