Speed limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
Not in the context of exceeding the posted limit. The police would need to prove that the riding was causing actual or potential danger, which they would not have to in the case of a motorist, as the offence of speeding is absolute for motor vehicles.

I thought anything over a given speed limit is classed as dangerous?Thats why the limit is imposed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
col said:
I thought anything over a given speed limit is classed as dangerous?Thats why the limit is imposed.
A motorist could successfully argue that doing 80mph on a deserted motorway was not causing any danger at the time of the offence, but a while a court might take that into consideration when imposing a sentence they would still convict.

They would not convict a cyclist who was doing 35 in a 30 limit for that alone as the speed limit does not apply to bicycles. The police would have to show that the speed was dangerous in respect of the conditions at the time of the offence.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Oh i see,so we are exempt from the speed limit,i didnt realise that,so the same could be argued on cycling on a pavement if no one is around and rlj if also no one is around,mmm i didnt realise we were so far out of the laws reach:biggrin:;)
No wonder some have the attitude they do?;)

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
+1 A cyclist cannot be done for speeding only ''dangerous cycling''

In addition, Col I think you are arguing for the sake of it.

How do you come to that?i am curious as to the way it seems we cant be done for speeding?
In addition,lee i think you do ;)

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
+1 A cyclist cannot be done for speeding only ''dangerous cycling''

In addition, Col I think you are arguing for the sake of it.

Isnt breaking a speed limit dangerous?

Road Taffic act...

Cycling offences

28 Reckless cycling

A person who rides a cycle on a road recklessly is guilty of an offence.

In this section “road” includes a bridleway.

29 Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

In this section “road” includes a bridleway.

ALso "Offences against the Person"
“35. Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.”

The Police often (and correctly) use these ofences as oposed to speeding or other transgressions.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Cunobelin said:
Road Taffic act...

ALso "Offences against the Person"

The Police often (and correctly) use these ofences as oposed to speeding or other transgressions.

Does this not say anything about obeying road signs?If so isnt it a blanket enforcement,for example if we dont obey a one way street sign,is it any less a dangerous thing because its a bike?It just seems that because a bike isnt actually mentioned,it doesnt apply,when if i found myself going more than a speed linit,unlikely i know,i would think i was breaking the law,because thats the speed enforced on all road users.

Top Bottom