Speed limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're in a very combative mood today Col. It's not Cycle Chat's fault that the speed limit doesn't apply to bicycles.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
You're in a very combative mood today Col. It's not Cycle Chat's fault that the speed limit doesn't apply to bicycles.

Not combative at all RT?Just curious as to why some think we cant speed,even when a speed limit is broken,and how it seems speeding is dangerous,but if a bike does, it isnt?

Mr Phoebus

Anyone care for a GIF? ;)

stfu.gif

col said:
Not combative at all RT?Just curious as to why some think we cant speed,even when a speed limit is broken,and how it seems speeding is dangerous,but if a bike does, it isnt?

Well, it's not necessarily dangerous to break a speed limit (even in a car), but your original question was "is it illegal to break the speed limit on a bike?" Which it isn't. Once that was communicated to you, you went off into whether it was dangerous or not. Which is a different issue, and is the reason you can't be done for speeding on a bike. As others have pointed out, you can be done for riding dangerously, even if you're actually riding within the motor vehicle speed limit, eg, going at 25mph down a crowded urban street.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Well, it's not necessarily dangerous to break a speed limit (even in a car), but your original question was "is it illegal to break the speed limit on a bike?" Which it isn't. Once that was communicated to you, you went off into whether it was dangerous or not. Which is a different issue.

What im trying to get at is,dont we have an obligation to follow rules of the road,instead of saying we dont have to unless?It just seems we complain about other road users breaking or twisting rules to suit,then some seem to be treating it like we can get away with it easier sort of attitude,and we can get away with things that cars ect shouldnt.Why is it not dangerous when a bike does it,but it is when a car does it?.When i would have thought its not a legal issue,more a moral one?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
;) Wow, from your OP about speeding you are now questioning the legal morals we have as cyclists.

Im asking a question that seems to show double standards with some?,your morals are not in question at all,we already know them:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
What im trying to get at is,dont we have an obligation to follow rules of the road,instead of saying we dont have to unless?

Of course, I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, how you'd know if you were breaking the limit? A speedo is not a legal obligation on a pedal cycle, and bike computers are not, I assume, required to be calibrated to a specific legal standard.

Not that I ever get anywhere near even 20, unless it's a long open road downhill, I'm just not that fast. But I cycle within the limits of what's safe, and yes, I agree, if we want to be regarded well, we should behave well. Not that that will make any difference to the attitudes of some anyway. But that doesn't alter the fact that we cannot be booked for simply exceeding the speed limit,as others have explained. The flip side is, that I assume a cyclist could be booked for doing under the speed limit, if they were behaving dangerously (I'm thinking riding at under 30, but far to fast for the conditions on a busy street with lots of pedestrians, or weaving in and out in a crowded ped/cyclist zone...)

col said:
What im trying to get at is,dont we have an obligation to follow rules of the road,instead of saying we dont have to unless?

<sigh> That's just the point. We are following the rules of the road, which say that speed limits apply to motorised vehicles and not bicycles. Easy - there's the original question in your first post answered. If you want to start a separate thread about whether we have a moral obligation to ride at sensible speeds, that's fine, but the question in your OP was answered politely and reasonably some time ago.

Arch said:
The flip side is, that I assume a cyclist could be booked for doing under the speed limit, if they were behaving dangerously (I'm thinking riding at under 30, but far to fast for the conditions on a busy street with lots of pedestrians, or weaving in and out in a crowded ped/cyclist zone...)

Yes, cyclists can be done in such circumstances. As I recall, that Cambridge cyclist who was supposedly training for an assault on the hour record a few years back was done for riding at 27mph in a 30 limit at pub kicking out time.

Top Bottom