Speed limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
I have not read all of this thread, I stuck some pins in my eyes to relieve the pain.

Speeding on a bicycle not an offence. Try riding aound Richmond Park at over 20mph and some jobsworth will leap out from the bushes and "have you".

OK, Just spoke with a Police Traffic Officer, its not offence! Now, move away from your keyboard and get out on your bike!

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
No. It would obviously be ridiculous if they were. Why would pedestrians obey a sign which says "No Entry" when it clearly applies only to motorised vehicles?

Who has mentioned pedestrians,now that is ridiculous:smile:? so the same would apply to cyclists would it?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Nicensleazy said:
OK, Just spoke with a Police Traffic Officer, its not offence! Now, move away from your keyboard and get out on your bike!

Ok good idea:biggrin:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Mr Phoebus said:
But it's only reached 10 pages.
Please don't make it die a premature death.

Well whether its legal or not,i see it as wrong still,there that should do the trick:biggrin:

Mr Phoebus

Saddle bum said:
Speeding on a bicycle not an offence. Try riding aound Richmond Park at over 20mph and some jobsworth will leap out from the bushes and "have you".
That's one of the Queen's parks. (or whatever )

They strictly enforce the parks strict rules regarding speeding
on a push bike.

This has been explained far better than my vague description by other posters in the past.

wafflycat

Arch said:
Excellent, I have an image in my head now of a load of peds mingling about at one end of a street, confused, because it's 'no entry'...:rolleyes:

May I refer the honourable lady to my previous post?

"I wonder if Col, when cycling, would comply if a sign said "drive over the cliff in front" "
:rolleyes:

wafflycat

Saddle bum said:
I have not read all of this thread, I stuck some pins in my eyes to relieve the pain.

Richmond Park is a Royal Park covered by a specific set of by-laws. On the general public highway, speed limits apply to motorised vehicles only.

Smokin Joe said:
They would not convict a cyclist who was doing 35 in a 30 limit for that alone as the speed limit does not apply to bicycles. The police would have to show that the speed was dangerous in respect of the conditions at the time of the offence.

Any cyclist rding at 35 n a 30 is an imbecile and it is obviously riding dangerously.

I find it astonishingly hypocritical that on one hand some cyclists demand equal rights on the road and then claim some laws don't apply to them

wafflycat

Laws that do not relate to cycling do not apply to cycling. That's not to say that cycling above a speed limit which applies to motorised traffic on the same stretch of road is a good thing - it isn't, but it's not breaking the speeding law. It may, however, have plod against you for a cycling offence - but you can't be done for breaking a speeding law which relates to motorised transport.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Hilldodger said:
I find it astonishingly hypocritical that on one hand some cyclists demand equal rights on the road and then claim some laws don't apply to them

Would appearing in an advert that advocated drinking alchohol whilst cycling also be "astonishingly hypocritical" then? :wacko:

Come on Roger, you should know the law better than most people, don't confuse things further.

Top Bottom