Speed limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham O

What a great thread for a Sunday evening.

Hilldodger said:
Any cyclist rding at 35 n a 30 is an imbecile and it is obviously riding dangerously.

I find it astonishingly hypocritical that on one hand some cyclists demand equal rights on the road and then claim some laws don't apply to them

I routinely exceed 30mph on my downhill commute in an area with a clear view, no side roads and a national speed limit, i.e. 60mph. I do not consider myself to be riding dangerously, just making due progress along the Queen's highway.

And we don't claim the speed limit laws don't apply to us, the law tells us that they only apply to mechanically propelled vehicles.

However on reading the HC, I notice that Rule 69 says that we must obey all road signs and traffic light signals. Is there a contradiction here?

bonj2

Whatever anybody might say I think it's a bit of a grey area as to my knowledge it hasn't actually ever been tested in court.

wafflycat

Graham O said:
However on reading the HC, I notice that Rule 69 says that we must obey all road signs and traffic light signals. Is there a contradiction here?

What you detect is the way in which the HC is not that thoughtfully written in places.

You obey the signs that apply to you in your mode of transport.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flying_Monkey said:
Would appearing in an advert that advocated drinking alchohol whilst cycling also be "astonishingly hypocritical" then? :smile:

Come on Roger, you should know the law better than most people, don't confuse things further.

Have you actually seen the advert FM? In case you haven't, the riders stop for a puncture and then drink the beer after that, not while riding.

Roger is right, as several of us have said until we're losing the will to live, just because something isn't illegal, doesn't make it a good thing to do. How many more times does it have to be said before someone notices that we're all violently agreeing with each other?

Graham:

"I routinely exceed 30mph on my downhill commute in an area with a clear view, no side roads and a national speed limit, i.e. 60mph. I do not consider myself to be riding dangerously, just making due progress along the Queen's highway."

Well, duh, the point is, you're doing over 30 in a 60 zone! It's a 60 zone for a reason, as you say, good visibility and all that. Roger was talking about doing over 30 in a 30 zone - which will have side roads, built up area, all that sort of stuff. No one has suggested you're either breaking the law, or behaving stupidly, at that point, as long as you're in control of your bike and can stop within your visible area...

Graham O

wafflycat said:
What you detect is the way in which the HC is not that thoughtfully written in places.

You obey the signs that apply to you in your mode of transport.

Oops. My misreading. You are correct and the other bit about 35 in a 30 zone. Put it down to reading a thread while doing something much more interesting.

Graham O

wafflycat said:
Heaven forfend! Something more interesting than a CC thread? I say No, sir, No! :smile:

I was aware while writing, that some people may question if such a thing is possible. I believe it is called "real life"!

Pah, it'll never catch on. :sad:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
mr Mag00 said:
for who?
and from what i have read on here even slow speeds can be dangerous helmet or not!

For everyone,any speed is dangerous if its uncontrolled,but speed limits are set to stop things happening that going too fast brings.So going faster than the limit can be dangerous cant it?

Mr Phoebus

col said:
For everyone,any speed is dangerous if its uncontrolled,but speed limits are set to stop things happening that going too fast brings.So going faster than the limit can be dangerous cant it?

Yeah, yeah, yeah! But what about helmets?

Top Bottom