Speedo on the back wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To be very honest with you, you would be better using your watch and recording how long you spend on the turbo. Milage on the turbo is not worth measuring. Save yourself some cash :smile:

Reactions: gaz

400bhp

Guru
aww balls, not reading properly:blush:

he has the garmin sppeed sensor located on the frame parallel to the rear wheel.

So change my answer to "I dunno":wacko:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've done it but it'd be a bit of a faff if you're using your everyday bike, I just had a cheapo wireless bike comp and put the bit that goes on the handlebars on a shelf close enough to pick up the signal from the transmitter on the rear wheel. I suppose you could leave the transmitter on the rear wheel if you are using your everyday ride, they don't weigh much :thumbsup:
It works BTW
The signal wasn't strong enough to reach the handlebars with mine.
I don't know if I'm helping or just rambling now :shy:

My Cateye Microwireless isn't strong enough (the range isnt good enough). If I put it on the floor just below and in front of the crank I can see it roughly and use it that way with a rear wheel set up.

screenman

Legendary Member
You could of course strap the speedo to your top tube, where you can see it. I suggest you wrap it in a bit of cling film first though.

You could also if you wanted turn your plain speedo into a cadence counter, but not at the same time as it is a speedo. One or the other only.

lulubel

Über Member
You could also if you wanted turn your plain speedo into a cadence counter, but not at the same time as it is a speedo. One or the other only.

That's an interesting idea. I'd quite to know my cadence (but not enough to buy a new Garmin that will do it).

Have you done it?
Does it work with the speedo on the bars, or is that too far away? (Presumably, you have to put the stationary part of the sensor on the chainstay.)

That's an interesting idea. I'd quite to know my cadence (but not enough to buy a new Garmin that will do it).

Have you done it?
Does it work with the speedo on the bars, or is that too far away? (Presumably, you have to put the stationary part of the sensor on the chainstay.)
Search for it on Google or Youtube IIRC there's lots of videos. The distance you can put the transmitter and receiver apart will depend upon your computer and any other inteference; experimenting is the only real answer. :thumbsup:

simon.r

Person
Just tried this with a Cateye and the range isn't good enough to fit the head unit on the bars. I've cable tied mine to the bottle cage so it's just about visible. A bit of a bodge, but it's adequate.

Re the cadence issue, if you stay in the same gear you can just equate a speed to a cadence, using one of the many calculators on the web. I stay in 44/15, so know my cadence at 15mph = 65, at 20mph = 87 etc etc.

Top Bottom