SPEEDPLAY pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
So far on my roadbikes i have used Shimano one sided pedals. Very happy until recently but now I have developed an inexplicable hip strain.

It was suggested that Speedplay because of large float might be beneficial. I welcome all comments: 1) is the conversion kit to allow fitting of such pedals to MTB shoes successful? 2) is there really a reduction in input lost because of the allegedly inefficient nature of SPD MTB pedals ? 3) what is the walking experience?

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What pedals do you use now ?its a bit unclear i assume spd- sl 3 bolt cleats ? or 2 bolt mtb
Which speedplay , road or frog mtb 2 bolt ?
1 never heard of a kit to convert speedplay road to mtb, frogs dont need an adaptor its just a different shaped cleat
2 unless your putting out pro watts then no you will not notice any difference .
3 again depends on waht system we are talking about

Last edited:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Time Atac - wide float double sided MTB (two bolt) pedal. Not expensive e.g. here, last very well and decent platform. Walkable like SPD's, good mud clearance as a bonus.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Thanks for comments. I think I have been deluded by the vision of shiny new technology. If I have to buy new pedals for two bikes and shoes so be it but first I will have a serious physio consultation.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Personally I fail to see the attraction of the speedplay setup, moving the mechanism from the pedal to the cleat strikes me as a silly idea. I don't want to walk about on the expensive/fragile bit, and if you walk across a muddy path, or put your foot down on a verge they fill up with mud.

I'll stick with SPD or SPD-SL cleats thanks.

Top Bottom