Spelling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Joe24 said:
Why is that then

You make me laugh for the wrong reasons, that's why.

Young Un

Joe24 said:
;):laugh::laugh:
Thanks for telling me that.
I bet you will end up at looking atmy posts every so often though;) You cant resist can you:girl:

I've looked at this one, and I will probably end up looking at the ones in the fixed section to see what nonsense your chatting on about.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
I've looked at this one, and I will probably end up looking at the ones in the fixed section to see what nonsense your chatting on about.

Because YC, you know i am right.
For your leg, just the one leg, to be doing 2 revs a min, both legs will need to do 240rpm. FACT
I dont chat nonsense on the fixed forum, or at least not all the time, i do sort of know what i am talking about.

bennytheegg

nigelnorris said:
Missed your chance YoungUn, it's spelt laziness. [Amongst other things.]

You beat me!

The English language is - and has always been - constantly developing. Examples such as dropping the "e" from "olde" and that "London" used to be called "Londinium" show that, to some extent, we have been simplifying the language to best suit the proletariat (fick peeple innit)
throughout the ages.

If the masses talk lyk dis 4 much longa, den hoo no's watll hapn?

Americanisms such as "tonite"are a more modern example of a lesser educated people changing the language. ;) A typical example of it's usage would be:

"I did not come here tonite to support a national heath service?! What are ya? A nazi!"

And the language can change completely to make it easier. In America for example, you don't just "study" a subject at university, you "major" in it. An example would be:

"Well hell yeh, I majored in politics, and I can't see why the rest of the world have a problem with George W. Bush"

Personally, I am a traditionalist, and always aim to spell correctly and use correct grammar and punctuation. But that might just be 'cos i'm well cleva.

Chill out folks, there is an answer to all these woes! All you need is a good spelling-checker. I know: I tried one out last night:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin not sea

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar Wright
It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It rare lea ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My Chequer toed me sew
OK OK I tell a lie, of course that's an oldie, most of you will have seen it before. Point is: spelling-checkers can do wonderful things, but they can't correct spelling. Only a good knowledge of the language will enable you to do that.

At least use the Preview button on this forum before each post, and spend a minute or two reading through your post. You'll be amazed at how much comes to the surface with a quick review. I always use Preview myself, although - I flatter myself - my standard of spelling and grammar is, maybe, a little bit better than some people's.

Of course, like some of those who've expressed the opinion above, I would deeply wish for the spelling and grammar on this and other forums to improve. I would also wish for an end to war, poverty, crime, disease, and environmental damage, in this miserable world of ours. One thing at a time!

Top Bottom