Spelling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Joe24 said:
I do hate text speak, and dont use it.
Its more lazyness then bad spelling i find.

Wee Joe,

your spelling and grammar are shite. But I do not care. Just do not think they are good :biggrin:

Noodley said:
No just a bit pissed off with people trying to be negative all the time. Especially when it's all prejudiced nonsense.
My, you really have got it up you tonight! Lucky that this wasn't posted in the wrong bit of the Forum, eh? :biggrin:

I can cope with (some) bad spelling, but most of the time on here it seems like laziness. As for spelling being irrelevant, as some might chose to see it, there are posts on here which read like a stream of consciousness rather than a coherent post. The gardening forum (yes, I'm 40, want to make something of it?) I belong to is even worse. Some of the posts on there make the captions on LOLCats look like Shakespeare...:sad:

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Yeah, but it's hard to moan about good stuff...

Exactly.

and it's much easier to moan about this kind of shite than actually look at serious social ills which need to be addressed and underlying causes....

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Noodley said:
Wee Joe,

your spelling and grammar are shite. But I do not care. Just do not think they are good :biggrin:

No my spelling and grammer are ****ing shoot.
But text speak is just lazyness, my spelling and grammer are just me:blush:

iLB

Hello there
Chuffy said:
I can cope with (some) bad spelling, but most of the time on here it seems like laziness. As for spelling being irrelevant, as some might chose to see it, .

thats choose you mean then chuffy :biggrin:

Noodley

Chuffy said:
Would these be social ills like 'not being arsed'?

no.

Noodley said:
Ok rubber pants, I view wee Joe and his generation as the new Shakey(speare)...
Shakey (Speare, not Stevens) couldn't spell for toffee, but he at least had the excuse of the English language not having standardised spelling. They don't.

Noodley

Chuffy said:
Shakey (Speare, not Stevens) couldn't spell for toffee, but he at least had the excuse of the English language not having standardised spelling. They don't.

So when was it 'standardised' to exclude free expression?

And when has anyone not been able to understand someone?

Bear in mind this fact - I will be right. :biggrin:

Noodley said:
Go on.
I'm guessing that the majority of the people who post "my breaks wont work" don't come from sink estates with low educational standards and they had pretty much the same educational standards as I had access too (bog standard comp). What are these 'social ills' that prevent people from reaching something approaching a reasonable standard?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ilovebikes said:
life is most definately too short...

I don't agree.
I think standards, precision and consistency in communication is important. I'm not a great speller, but I at least try to make a pretty good attempt at it especially when writing to/for others. I have to write a fair amount of technical'stuff' to people whose second language is English, so accuraccy is important. What's scary is that their command of our language is often better than many of our own.
Whilst I don't doubt that many people have dyslexic tendancies, It's also too easy for the yoof of today to be lazy and use text-speak/sloppy spelling and grammar because they're not corrected. We need more pedantry not less :biggrin:

Top Bottom