Spelling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
Fab Foodie said:
I don't agree.
I think standards, precision and consistency in communication is important. I'm not a great speller, but I at least try to make a pretty good attempt at it especially when writing to/for others. I have to write a fair amount of technical'stuff' to people whose second language is English, so accuraccy is important. What's scary is that their command of our language is often better than many of our own.
Whilst I don't doubt that many people have dyslexic tendancies, It's also too easy for the yoof of today to be lazy and use text-speak/sloppy spelling and grammar because they're not corrected. We need more pedantry not less :biggrin:

no no, you misunderstand- of course its important for the very reasons you mention, but what sort of person is going to start a thread to have a moan about spelling... :sad:

ilovebikes said:
no no, you misunderstand- of course its important for the very reasons you mention, but what sort of person is going to start a thread to have a moan about spelling... :biggrin:
Why not? It annoys the hell out of me, but correcting the spelling of other posters is like trying to empty a lake with a spoon. Blowing off steam about it (like wot the OP was doing) seems like a sensible idea to me.

Noodley

Chuffy said:
Go on.
I'm guessing that the majority of the people who post "my breaks wont work" don't come from sink estates with low educational standards and they had pretty much the same educational standards as I had access too (bog standard comp). What are these 'social ills' that prevent people from reaching something approaching a reasonable standard?

If it were a P&L topic....:biggrin::evil:

This is cafe...

...go put on your rubber pants.

And say "ahhhh"

now say it louder.

now scream in pain.

now ****ing mean it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ilovebikes said:
no no, you misunderstand- of course its important for the very reasons you mention, but what sort of person is going to start a thread to have a moan about spelling... :biggrin:

Somebody who finds it poor spelling irritating perchance?
It's not the first spelling thread we've had here and it wont be the last. It's no big deal, compared to much of the guff discussed on cc it's a pretty sound topic IMO.

Is it just me or have people taken some grumpy pills on CC tonight :sad:

Noodley

A vet walks into a room.

Patient to vet: I do not want my animal to die.
Vet: I am sorry but it would appear I cannot spell correctly, I shall have to leave my job.

A Policeman walk into a room:

Person: <not breathing> ahhhhhhhhhh
Police: sorry that should be "aggghhhhah"

Fab Foodie said:
Somebody who finds it poor spelling irritating perchance?
It's not the first spelling thread we've had here and it wont be the last. It's no big deal, compared to much of the guff discussed on cc it's a pretty sound topic IMO.

Is it just me or have people taken some grumpy pills on CC tonight :biggrin:
Gawd knows....
...but I'm off to bed.

Noodley said:
A vet walks into a room.

Patient to vet: I do not want my animal to die.
Vet: I am sorry but it would appear I cannot spell correctly, I shall have to leave my job.

A Policeman walk into a room:

Person: <not breathing> ahhhhhhhhhh
Police: sorry that should be "aggghhhhah"
<sigh>
So, to sum up, you don't think that the ability to spell matters. At all.
Yes?

Chris Sirrus

Spelling is as important to English as arithmetic is to maths. What's most important to remember though is that good arithmetic wont get you Fermat's Last Theorem and good spelling wont get you Twelfth Night. It's the ideas that are important and as long as you are able to communicate them a few spelling mistakes don't matter.

longers

Legendary Member
It does work, there's not a lot of text speak on here because it's unpopular, people get pulled up on it from time to time.

It is not life and death important and the way people and their personalities come across in the different ways they use language is brilliant and should allow some slack to be cut - I'm boring and shoot with apostrophes but only Joe has pulled me up on that so far.

But if no-one moans, folk get lazy and it's a slippery slope from there I think.

Chris Sirrus said:
Spelling is as important to English as arithmetic is to maths. What's most important to remember though is that good arithmetic wont get you Fermat's Last Theorem and good spelling wont get you Twelfth Night. It's the ideas that are important and as long as you are able to communicate them a few spelling mistakes don't matter.
True. But there's a big gap between making a few spelling mistakes and some of the posting on here which look like something that James Joyce would raise an eyebrow at.

Top Bottom