Spelling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
longers said:
But if no-one moans, folk get lazy and it's a slippery slope from there I think.
People don't have to moan. If we all start picking holes in each other's grammar (which is my weakness) and spelling then we'd be in for a pretty depressing week, after which there would be no-one left on here. But that shouldn't stop us from caring about it, which is where a thread like this comes in handy.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Recently I've been having problems knowing when to double up the last letter in a short word when turning it into a longer word. When I was at school we were told that if a word had a short vowel sound like 'hop', you doubled the last letter to make "hopped" where as you didn't if it the word had a long vowel sound like 'hope'. It doesn't always seem to help though. For example, 'cancel' changes to 'canceled', but also to 'cancellation' - why? It surprises me how many words I misspell. The spelling mistake that annoys me most in other people is 'loose' when they mean 'lose'.

longers

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
People don't have to moan. If we all start picking holes in each other's grammar (which is my weakness) and spelling then we'd be in for a pretty depressing week, after which there would be no-one left on here. But that shouldn't stop us from caring about it, which is where a thread like this comes in handy.

If that's not what I said, it's pretty much word for word what I meant.

Young Un

Joe24 said:
No my spelling and grammer are ****ing shoot.
But text speak is just lazyness, my spelling and grammer are just me:blush:

Wait a minute! Earlier you just said that you hate text speak and don't use it, yet here, your saying that you do use text speak, but it is just your lazyness that makes you do it. I think you just contradicted yourself Joe.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I tend to post late at night when I'm tired therefore less accurate, however spelling & grammar are not my strong points & generally for me the message is more important as long as it's understandable

the net itself has different rules (more relaxed) to standard written english etc, so 'technichally' it's ok! & the use of smilies etc :eek: :bicycle: must drive some people potty (well analy retentive) :biggrin: :smile: :smile: :smile:

relax it's cycle chat - not cycle english grammar exam, there are really more important things...

:smile:

http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ia_nq.htm
( I like the first quote)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Ps delibaretly not checked for spelling of grammer - I just went with the fear & did it anyway!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
Wait a minute! Earlier you just said that you hate text speak and don't use it, yet here, your saying that you do use text speak, but it is just your lazyness that makes you do it. I think you just contradicted yourself Joe.

No YC you twat, i didnt say i use text speak, im saying text speak is lazyness.
I do NOT use text speak.
Now run along little chav.

Young Un

Joe24 said:
No YC you twat, i didnt say i use text speak, im saying text speak is lazyness.
I do NOT use text speak.
Now run along little chav.

Awww look at you Joe, all grown up with a post that is ok grammar and spelling wise just so I can't rip it out of you for it:biggrin:

nigelnorris

Young Un said:
Awww look at you Joe, all grown up with a post that is ok grammar and spelling wise just so I can't rip it out of you for it:biggrin:
Missed your chance YoungUn, it's spelt laziness. [Amongst other things.]

Top Bottom