Spesh Allez size dilema...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pointy boy

Über Member
Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying a new Specialized Allez as an N+1 (or 2 or 3). Looking for some sizing advice as there aren't any Specialized dealers nearby.

I'm 5'11", which would suggest that I should go for the 56cm frame, but have relatively short legs for my heigh, at around 31.5"
Looking a the bike specs, the standover height would suggest I'd be better with the 54cm frame, but will this feel cramped? Would a 54cm frame with, if necessary, a longer stem seem like a sensible plan? If there are any similarly oddly-proportioned Allez owners, I'd really appreciate your input :-)

cheers.

PB

Nebulous

Guru
I think you really need to try it to be sure. I'm just under 5' 10" with a 30.5" inside leg. So a similar build to you, with longish back and short legs.

I bought a 54 allez from ebay and absolutely loved it. I did thousands of miles, barely moved a thing and felt it fitted like a glove. The odd thing though, which goes against all the advice you get, was I didn't have any standover room at all. I literally had to stand with the bike angled if I put both feet on the ground.

I had an accident last year and did very little leisure riding, though I still continued to commute and do work miles. I'm raring to go now and have just bought a 54 tarmac, as a replacement bike, which does have a bit of standover height. It doesn't feel quite right yet, I'm still fiddling with it but might need a longer stem.

My gut feeling is that you would be fine with a 56, but the usual advice seems to be to go small and adjust it rather than risk going too big.

Dave7

Legendary Member
This comment MIGHT not be any use at all but..............
As you are spending £400+ on a bike.........if it is in ANY way possible I would visit the nearest stockist to try it.
Assuming you have access to a car..........if it was, say, even a 100 mile round trip and it meant getting the right fit....it would be well worth the effort.
When I got my Ribble it was 120 miles but worth every penny & minute.
Imagine spending all the money and having the wrong size:sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm 5'9" with 31 inside leg and ride a 56 Spesh. I prefered the 56 over the 54, though I swapped the supplied 110 stem for a 90.

OP
OP
P

Pointy boy

Über Member
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. 56 looks to be the way to go, but I'm going to try to make the trip to a bricks 'n' mortar shop to be on the safe side;-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans will let you take bikes for a decent test ride. Just need photo ID and a bank card for them to swipe and charge a penny to

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Short legs means relatively long body, and so go for a bigger frame. So try the 56 and see if you can get a decent saddle height.
Shouldn't be a problem on the Allez.

Cyclist33

This comment MIGHT not be any use at all but..............
As you are spending £400+ on a bike.........if it is in ANY way possible I would visit the nearest stockist to try it.
Assuming you have access to a car..........if it was, say, even a 100 mile round trip and it meant getting the right fit....it would be well worth the effort.
When I got my Ribble it was 120 miles but worth every penny & minute.
Imagine spending all the money and having the wrong size:sad:

Thought you lived in Warrington?

Top Bottom