Spinning out - which cassette ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

Why not? Are electric bikes different?

According to the OP, he's already got a 34 on there, so fitting a 32 is not going to make climbing easier.

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Yes, as pale rider and raleighnut both say.
I'm no lance Armstrong, I got the e bike to keep on cycling and keep my commute to work manageable.
I have osteoarthritis in both knees and find it extremely hard work on my Boardman.
My leg muscles don't recover as fast as they did 20 years ago, and at 57 I find it both depressing, frustrating and hard to accept.
But I want to keep cycling no matter what. The pain in my knees actually goes away for about 3 hours after a ride, which is great, but the muscles ache and take a day or two to recover despite taking protein/recovery drinks immediately afterwards.
I'm happy with the bike if it keeps me fit enough to ride my Boardman from time to time and as we all know I'm getting all the other benefits cycling gives in terms of health, mental wellbeing and savings on commuting costs.

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes, as pale rider and raleighnut both say.
I'm no lance Armstrong, I got the e bike to keep on cycling and keep my commute to work manageable.
I have osteoarthritis in both knees and find it extremely hard work on my Boardman.
My leg muscles don't recover as fast as they did 20 years ago, and at 57 I find it both depressing, frustrating and hard to accept.
But I want to keep cycling no matter what. The pain in my knees actually goes away for about 3 hours after a ride, which is great, but the muscles ache and take a day or two to recover despite taking protein/recovery drinks immediately afterwards.
I'm happy with the bike if it keeps me fit enough to ride my Boardman from time to time and as we all know I'm getting all the other benefits cycling gives in terms of health, mental wellbeing and savings on commuting costs.

Hmm, I'm tempted to say look at your cadence - see if you can spin at 120rpm while comfortable in the saddle for a few minutes. I've been upping my cadence in training, and I feel that 95-100rpm is much easier on the knees than a higher gear at 75-80rpm.

I'm not sure I even need 11 on the cassette anymore.

Might also help with your spinning out issue.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Can us mere mortals spin anything close to 120rpm?

I've only timed myself roughly once or twice, but I doubt I could manage 100 on platform pedals.

Tin Pot

Guru
Can us mere mortals spin anything close to 120rpm?

I've only timed myself roughly once or twice, but I doubt I could manage 100 on platform pedals.

Yeah it doesn't take much practice, I can't hold it long but it's easily doable. Most of my 2-5 min intervals are at over 110, and I'm nothing.

150 however...(!)

Top Bottom