Split link advice required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A split link (aka missing link, aka quick link, aka master link, aka powerlink) comprises the two outer plates with integrated pins. You join it by pairing the two halves together, via two 'inner' links.

A joining pin is literally just the pin and is usually supplied with new Shimano chains for joining the two ends of the chain together - an 'outer' to an 'inner'. You install them using a chain tool, and they have a 'guide' piece that makes it easier to insert - you break this off once the pin is in place.

Thank you for explining that.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm guessing that is for the rejoining, and a tool may be required for the removal.

Removal:

15412592735_6140784f9d.jpg

The mole grips shown are just a convenient object to tap the end with, otherwise you can use pretty well anything handy, such as a stone.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I bought a set of link pliers a while ago but last time I needed to break my chain I couldn't find them... plonker that I am. Luckily, I found that flexing the chain at the link did the job without too much effort. I like the look of the 'hitting it with mole grips' method though - must make a mental note of that one.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've got a pair of tyre levers that clip together to make a quick link splitting tool. Linky.
I have to ask, but why?

Tim Hall

Why you feel it is necessary to carry a split link tool when out on the road. It's a clever design I agree, but solves a problem that doesn't really exist and looking at the images they appear pretty chunky compared to conventional tyre levers so there is a penalty to carting them around.
I admit the tricksy design was a major part in my thought process. I guess another reason is in case I need to undo a split link while out on the road - jammed chain, chain broken elsewhere, that sort of thing. Bulkier than standard levers for sure, but that’s not an issue for when I’m carrrying them. Negligible weight penalty. As I don’t have a special pair of pliers for undoing links, I also use them at home.

Siclo

Veteran
It looks like this handy multitool has been superseded now?

Yes and I prefer the new design, easier to square up the pin, I always used to drop the tyre lever bit with the hex in it in the dark. If you've got any bikes running 11 speed you may want to check at home it will still work, I encountered someone in Mobberley a few weeks ago who'd found out the hard way an 11 speed chain pin was of a smaller diameter than his chain tool, and I gave him a split link.

I admit the tricksy design was a major part in my thought process. I guess another reason is in case I need to undo a split link while out on the road - jammed chain, chain broken elsewhere, that sort of thing. Bulkier than standard levers for sure, but that’s not an issue for when I’m carrrying them. Negligible weight penalty. As I don’t have a special pair of pliers for undoing links, I also use them at home.
This kind of talk worries me a bit, until I joined cyclechat, I had never seemed to need all these extra tools, spares or do any more maintenance than replace peddles, a bottom bracket, or lube the chain, and replace tyres and inner tubes, maybe I need to get out more,

Literally out more on the bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This kind of talk worries me a bit, until I joined cyclechat, I had never seemed to need all these extra tools, spares or do any more maintenance than replace peddles, a bottom bracket, or lube the chain, and replace tyres and inner tubes, maybe I need to get out more,

Literally out more on the bike.
Don't worry. The chances of needing to undo a split link when out riding are almost nil. The chance of needing to join a broken chain is slightly higher but still a low risk on an otherwise well maintained bike.

Top Bottom