Split link advice required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do I need to carry split links in the tool bag for road bikes?

I keep a link tool in the bag. I have only ever rejoined a chain on a MTB about 3 times. I never used any split links though-I just used the link tool.

It has only recently occurred to me to that I may need spare links in respect of my 11 speed road bikes, as things may be different when repairing chains?

What determines whether or not split links are required?

Jody

Stubborn git
What determines whether or not split links are required?

If you have the relevant tools to repair at the roadside. For the size of a split link you might aswell carry one as you can put a snapped chain back together without tools.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Depends what type of chain you have - I believe it's generally recommended that you don't re-join an 11-speed chain using an old pin, so for roadside repairs you either need a split link or a new joining pin.

I agree with @Jody that you might as well carry one. I always do - even though it's some years since I last had to repair a chain by the roadside...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IME the thinner chains for the higher gear numbers 9/10/11 are practically impossible to rejoin the old way, the way we used to do 6/7/8 speed chains. I believe it is down to the pins being peened to make them a very tight fit in the side plates, hence that worrying moment of tension when trying to remove the pin when you tighten the removal tool almost to breaking point........ then the pin pops out with a crack.

Just carry a chain tool & split link and you are good to repair any catastrophes experienced along the way.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The original questions have already been answered and I won't repeat the answers ...

I ride multi-geared bikes with 9/10 speed chains and a singlespeed bike with an 8-speed chain. I not only carry links for all 3 chain types, I also carry short lengths of chain so I can patch in some more chain if I mangle a few links. It is always possible to use a shortened chain (carefully avoiding the biggest ring to biggest sprocket combination which may wreck the rear mech.) on the multi-geared bikes but the singlespeed chain has to be the correct length so all broken links have to be replaced.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I used to save the 'offcuts' of new chains for use in potential emergency situations, but I gave up because I found I never used them before I had to replace the chain anyway.

Maybe if I kept them all, I might be able to join them together to make a whole new chain one day - like a kind of loyalty scheme, buy 10 chains, get the 11th free! Although the number of split links I'd need to join them would make it considerably more expensive than just buying another new chain.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Shallow dropouts or too close to the front of them, eh? Nasty.
The frame wasn't designed for singlespeed/fixed. A friend donated it to me after stripping off all the parts from a bike which had been given to him. (The frame was too big for him.) I didn't need another multi-geared bike so I built the singlespeed for fun and to have something different to ride. I use a chain tensioner to take up any slack from chain wear. I'm not sure that the tensioner would have enough range to cope with a longer chain and I like having an almost straight chain run anyway.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Split links are not always easy to undo/rejoin at the roadside - especially for 10 speed & above. Hence tools like
Park-Tools-Master-Link-Pliers-Workshop-Tools-QKMLP12-0.jpg

Would be a PITA to have to carry one of those on every ride.
I carry a short cut length of old spoke folded into a tight 'hairpin' that might get me out of trouble, but tbh I've never really tried it on a stiff link. I was on 9 speed last time I need a split link on a ride and IME they tend to be easier to separate/rejoin.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Split links are not always easy to undo/rejoin at the roadside - especially for 10 speed & above. Hence tools like
park-tools-master-link-pliers-workshop-tools-qkmlp12-0-jpg.jpg
There are a very limited number of scenarios where you will need to split a chain during a ride. The most common problem is rejoining a chain that has split/broken unexpectedly.

No need to carry around a split link tool, just a traditional chain pin tool is all that is required.

A Topeak Hexus II is my preferred weapon with the chain tool circled. It looks like this handy multitool has been superseded now?

upload_2018-5-10_12-0-29.png

Depends what type of chain you have - I believe it's generally recommended that you don't re-join an 11-speed chain using an old pin, so for roadside repairs you either need a split link or a new joining pin.

I agree with @Jody that you might as well carry one. I always do - even though it's some years since I last had to repair a chain by the roadside...

What is the difference between a split link and a joining pin?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What is the difference between a split link and a joining pin?

A split link (aka missing link, aka quick link, aka master link, aka powerlink) comprises the two outer plates with integrated pins. You join it by pairing the two halves together, via two 'inner' links.

A joining pin is literally just the pin and is usually supplied with new Shimano chains for joining the two ends of the chain together - an 'outer' to an 'inner'. You install them using a chain tool, and they have a 'guide' piece that makes it easier to insert - you break this off once the pin is in place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom