(SPOILER) What, no ToQ thread ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Location
Armonmy Way
I don't know how Cav does it. He was some way back near EBH - Cav found a way through, EBH didn't. He's a canny sod, he really is. Absolutely amazing stuff. :becool:
Yes, phenomenal stuff! If there is any, I'd love to see coverage of the 1st sprint where Adam Blythe pipped Cav to the line.

(I still get a feeling of astonishment when I see 2 Brits in the top 4 of a race! I'm not particularly nationalistic; it's just something I never experienced when I was younger.)
 

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Location
Odawa
This is why I was always rather sceptical of people who argued that he needed Mark Renshaw or Bernie Eisel (or indeed a full lead-out train). He's the opposite of a sprinter like Greipel who has to be launched to the line and then will just keep driving with the same ferocious power - although he is capable of this - instead he seems to thrive on situations of confusion and radar in on the tiniest gap or opportunity, working by a combination of intuition and pure speed. Partly I think it's his intimate knowledge of other riders' styles and strengths: he knows whose wheel to take in any situation.
 

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Location
Brighton
He is the complete sprinter. Either way works, but the lead out train will be his preferred MO in the bigger races.
 

raindog

er.....
Location
France
Partly I think it's his intimate knowledge of other riders' styles and strengths: he knows whose wheel to take in any situation.
That and his track experience? Robbie McEwen was the master of appearing from nowhere and winning - Cav's style is becoming more and more like Robbie's every season.
Plus his pure strength. On the head on slo-mo of today's finish, you can actually see other riders' legs starting to flap about like rubber bands, while Cav still powers forwards. I've also noticed that he sprints incredibly low over the bars - his profile seems to be about a foot lower than the others, which would mean less wind resistance. Fascinating rider without doubt. We're so lucky to have him. :smile:
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
That and his track experience? Robbie McEwen was the master of appearing from nowhere and winning - Cav's style is becoming more and more like Robbie's every season.
Plus his pure strength. On the head on slo-mo of today's finish, you can actually see other riders' legs starting to flap about like rubber bands, while Cav still powers forwards. I've also noticed that he sprints incredibly low over the bars - his profile seems to be about a foot lower than the others, which would mean less wind resistance. Fascinating rider without doubt. We're so lucky to have him. :smile:

It is no secret re his riding position being dramatically different and incredibly effective. He outputs less watts than many of the other sprinters who power lift their way to the line. I recall seeing him make a joke about how all of the others are pulling ugly faces while he just flies by outputting a fair bit less power.
 

Hont

Guru
Location
Bromsgrove
Does his position seem a bit higher than it used to be though? I need to go through the videos, but I seem to recall him winning MSR with his chin virtually resting on the stem.
 

oldroadman

Veteran
Location
Ubique
This is why I was always rather sceptical of people who argued that he needed Mark Renshaw or Bernie Eisel (or indeed a full lead-out train). He's the opposite of a sprinter like Greipel who has to be launched to the line and then will just keep driving with the same ferocious power - although he is capable of this - instead he seems to thrive on situations of confusion and radar in on the tiniest gap or opportunity, working by a combination of intuition and pure speed. Partly I think it's his intimate knowledge of other riders' styles and strengths: he knows whose wheel to take in any situation.

Agreed, he is able to win both ways if he gets to the finish with the slightest sniff of a chance. The sneaking in way was how the worlds was finally won, combined with a drilled performance by GB getting him to the line. When it all went a bit awry in the final, who popped up near the barriers and flew to the line? Magnificent.
 

thom

____
Location
The Borough
Here's the end of stage 3 :
 

oldroadman

Veteran
Location
Ubique
A bit hectic in the last few kms, all those sweeping roundabouts and bends, made for speed and a bit of pushing and shoving. Good early season stuff, Cav looks in good shape, and EBH will be close in the classics, I think. Ah, the proper season begins, and after lovely hotels and sun, Belgium in March calls. Can never say there's not a bit of contrast in the sport!
 

thom

____
Location
The Borough
Cavendish - Sky had a great train though EBH ended up 8'th
Argos-Shimano did a lot of work in the final kms but got nothing
A crash in the peloton detained the BMC guys so I think Cav may get the race lead due to time bonuses

Barry Markus 2nd (Vaconsoleil), Guardini 3rd (Astana)

Cav's win again notable for a lack of a lead out man - he worked out the finish himself again.
 

raindog

er.....
Location
France
thanks for the link thom - none of my usual sources worked today - don't know why.

Much "easier" for Cav today - must have the race lead I should think?
 
Top Bottom