Spoke-less Bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey everyone,

I am part of a new company which is bringing to market a revolutionary new product... A spokeless bike!

In order to do this the gear will be connected to the bikes rear wheel rim and will run through a series of teeth which turn the wheel. This gear will be positioned at the rear wheels 8 O'clock (If you are looking at the CycleChat logo) and will cause the bike to go faster than if it was positioned normally. The suspension is not affected by the removal of the spokes and this design is less likely to have a tyre bend than a traditional design as the impact is more evenly distributed around the wheel. The bike will be lighter than a traditional bike will have improved steering and will have improved braking in comparison to a traditional bike. There will be an easy release system on the mechanism in case of damage.

Our design can be used on more than just bikes it can also be used on cars, scooters, segways... pretty much anything with a wheel!

We are very excited about this product but we would like to hear some feedback from you all, both positive and negative, if you have any questions about it please comment below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Klassikbike

Sorry but to my opinion it does not make sence, its been done before and all points had been found to be more negative than a spoked wheel.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Hmmm...We're all a bit jaded about this kind of thing, I fear.

Nail the following, and I'll think about biting.

• Is this yet another hubless/centreless design?
  • How are you managing variable ratio gearing?
  • How are you protecting the teeth from damage by the elements?
  • How are you dealing with the increased rotational mass (no spokes means stronger rim required means more weight at the outside of the wheel)?
  • How are you gearing up sufficiently for rim drive?
  • How is this different from all the pretty looking design innovation winning bikes that never seem to get built?
  • Does it look like a light cycle from TRON.
Actually, if you get the last question right, you'll probably do just as well as those who've gone before. Nail the others, and you may actually get to build it as well :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You'll find a very hard to please audience of über sceptics here, but don't let that put you off. Just don't ask for money! :smile:

Me, I like reading about this kind of stuff, be it doomed to failure or ground breaking.

byegad

Legendary Member
:popcorn:

I'll hang around a while just in case the 'leg and arm powered bike' and the 'solid tyre' inventors chip in any time soon.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'll take it if it's cleaner and easier to maintain (meaning riding roads in the rain with perhaps a bit of leaf-goo and possibly salt thrown into the mix) without any additional riding effort required. If I can fix a puncture without removing the wheel- bonus.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why? What are the perceived benefits.

Cyclists are a conservative lot - not because they're lazy or puritanical when it comes to design, but because they have a better than average understanding of and empathy with engineering, so are deeply critical of stuff that isn't efficient. If you've found something that is lighter, tougher, more reliable and more convenient than a spoked wheel then we want to hear about it. If you haven't, it will inevitably flop I'm afraid.

Top Bottom