Spoke protectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like these.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSCSPSF/clear-spoke-protector,-spoke-fit

How many folks use them?

Am aware that they are seen as a bit naff by some and that we are hardly like to see the likes of Cavendish and his pretenders using them. But?

Must admit I myself had associated them with BSOs but my esteemed Ridgeback Expedition, very definitely not a BSO, came with one and I see no good reason to take it off.

In fact am thinking of fitting them to all my tourers and urban bikes.

I did once tear some spokes out due to a bashed rear mech and once had a rear mech start to rub the spokes of an urban bike when I let it fall over from a stand.

Reactions: JtB

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Of four of my bikes with derrailieur gears only one has the pie dish on still. The hardtail 901. I've taken at least one of and at least one came without one. I can see the value of them though.

Of course the single speed doesn't need one....

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Can't see many folk on here actually fitting them. That would be kind of like admitting you can't adjust a derailleur :smile:.
Both my rear mechs were fitted fine when they "interfaced" with the spokes, once from a bash, once from bike falling over. Second instance didn't break spokes but could have done. I didn't notice the problem when I got on the bike. It wasn't until I had ridden five or six miles and shifted into the big rear ro go up a big hill that I discovered it.

stalagmike

Enormous member
No. It says 'Lots in stock'.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
That's as maybe @Blue Hills I'm sure it helps in such instances but I can't see many rushing to fit a 'dork disc' especially as it means removing the cassette.
Curious argument cyclops - upthread you suggested that folk on here wouldn't want to admit that they couldn't adjust a rear mech (tho as i said i didn't consider that the issue) but now you think they couldn't or wouldn't remove a cassette? One of the simplest jobs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I remove them because they always rattle sooner or later and mask noises which warn of other faults. If you're worried about the derailleur getting bashed, then fit a rear derailleur guard (or go SS/HG)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Am aware that they are seen as a bit naff by some and that we are hardly like to see the likes of Cavendish and his pretenders using them. But?.

You can say the same thing about factory-fitted wheel reflectors and front/rear frame-fitted reflectors. Loads of "image is everything" mindset roadies remove all these things from their new bikes as soon as they get them home from the shop.

Top Bottom