Spoken Direction App

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Hi
I have been trying to use Google Maps for spoken directions on my rides where I don't know the roads well. I just keep the iPhone in a top tube bag - I can hear the directions fine.

It's not brilliant. Cycling directions are no good for a road bike as it takes me down bridleways. Car directions are OK, though.

The main problem I have is that routes are difficult to set up, and it seems as though once you visit a via point (a "stop" I think it calls it), you have to interact with the app to say you want to start the next segment of the route.

Are there any better (free) apps with spoken directions and support for customised routing (ideal would be able to transfer a route including via points from a desktop computer).

I use Waze for driving, but it only allows one via point.

Thanks
Mark

Katherine

Guru
I used to do exactly what you do but now I plot routes on the app ride with gps. I listen to the voice cues on my Android phone. For the last 6 months I have been using a Bluetooth ear piece in my left ear, to hear the cues better over the traffic and the wind.
This has enabled me to plan and lead group rides as well as to magpie other people's routes and retrace previously ridden roads.
It's so much better than stopping to check the route or start the next segment!
It's $6 a month for the version that supports voice cues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
Does anyone else have an alternative? I have been trying to use Bike Hub Cycle Journey Planner today, which I think does spoken directions. However, the interface for setting up a route with via points is very difficult to use...

Gmotagi

I'm currently writing my own app as I've found the ones in the stores are just massively over complex (Strava) , bogged down with Ads or just not right for my needs. I'm putting in a feature that lets you set waypoints as goals to achieve, but hadn't really considered voice directions for navigating to them (guess I know my local area too well). That would be a really nice feature though I think.

Top Bottom