Spoon Charge saddle or the Specialized Riva saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
I just need a little advice on bike saddles as my knowledge is somewhat limited on such things. Recently I purchased a new/second hand bike. It's a Specialized Allez elite and the stock saddle is a Specialized own brand called the "Riva" As with all new bikes I'm slowly adjusting various parts to make it as comfortable as possible. Tonight's ride out i was trying to decide whether or not the saddle was adjusted right for me. I wasn't wearing any padded cycling shorts tonight but instead I just had my tracksuit bottoms on. I could feel every bump and pressure point through my backside tonight without the luxury of the padded cycling shorts and soon came to the conclusion this saddle is not the most comfortable.
Tucked away in the garden shed I went looking for the brand new Spoon Charge saddle that was given to me by a good friend. Are these saddles any good? Would it be worth swapping it over from the Specialized Riva. The Charge certainly seems to have a little more give in it and is slightly different in shape compared to the Riva. I suppose the only way I'm going to find out is to just try it ,but I thought I would just ask anyway as you kind people have got more knowledge than me ! :-)
All the very best,
Johnny.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
You won't loose anything in giving it a try.

I've got the Charge Spoon on 5 of my bikes which shows what I think of it.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My Specialized Tricross and Specialized Crux both came with stock Riva saddles. They are pretty good but for me the Charge Spoon is better.

Edit - Oops the stock saddle I mentioned should have been Rival not Riva.

Last edited:
The Riva is advertised as a women-specific design so, while saddle comfort is a very personal thing, it probably doesn't help.

Like @Jenkins, I've got Charge Spoons on several bikes, including the one on the turbo - upon which you move around less than out on the road and it's easier to just get off and have a cuppa, so comfort is doubly important!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all the fantastic info. As you've been posting replies merrily away I've been changing my seat over to the Charge. I shall give it a try tomorrow evening after work and report my findings on it:-) :-)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No saddle is comfortable when you're not wearing some form of padded shorts/underwear.

Padded clothing just makes you soft. Wear normal clothing and toughen up. When I first started riding again after several years off, I was getting a sore backside after about an hour or 10 miles. I just kept at it and now I can do 30 miles without a second thought - and I'm always wearing jeans or old pairs of long work trousers with the legs cut down as shorts. Most of my saddles are el cheapo MTB ones as well that have been salvaged off old BSO's. So long as they aren't overly wide, I get on with most saddles ok.

Can you use the saddle from your old bike?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Can you use the saddle from your old bike?
I was thinking about that to be honest ,but something like the Charge or Riva looks more "in keeping "with my new bike. If I have no joy with the Charge saddle I think I will do what you suggest though, and swap it over for the old one :-)
Cheers buddy ,,

Gary E

Veteran
Charge for me too.
Give it a good go before you reject it, I found it a little uncomfortable at first but persevered with it and now have it on all but one of my bikes :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

Charge for me too.
Give it a good go before you reject it, I found it a little uncomfortable at first but persevered with it and now have it on all but one of my bikes :smile:
I put a charge on week last Friday & then did more mileage last week than I have ever done before, nearly 90 miles still getting used to it, slightly better than my stock one, but I think I need to toe it down just a couple of degrees as I can feel it against my perineum a little more than I could before. But I have also gone with a sprung seatpost to get a little extra help on the really rough stuff.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I like the Charge spoon saddles and its the one I would always advise you take over a Brooks. I have 3 Charge Spoon saddles and 2 Brooks saddles and they are all good. The reason I choose Charge Spoon over Brooks is that the Brooks are so expensive and they dont suit everyone and can take hell of a long time to break in. Charge Spoon are cheap and are worth the risk.

If you have a Charge Spoon try it. I like mine.

Top Bottom