Spoon Charge saddle or the Specialized Riva saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
No saddle is comfortable when you're not wearing some form of padded shorts/underwear.

I think pads are uncomfortable and lots of people wear pads because it's the done thing!

I can't recommend my charge spoon enough, mine is five years old sees use most days in most weather and is still comfortable. I keep meaning to replace the spoon on my every day bike to my MTB and put a new one on my everyday bike.

The price makes spoons a no brainer.

All that said I suffer with prostratitis. The consultant says there is a chance that my cycling may aggravate it by aggravating the uretha. So I had been umming and ahhing about one of those split seats. But the price, the perhaps maybe nature of the causation and effectivness of the saddles puts me off.

I think pads are uncomfortable and lots of people wear pads because it's the done thing!

I can't recommend my charge spoon enough, mine is five years old sees use most days in most weather and is still comfortable. I keep meaning to replace the spoon on my every day bike to my MTB and put a new one on my everyday bike.

The price makes spoons a no brainer.

All that said I suffer with prostratitis. The consultant says there is a chance that my cycling may aggravate it by aggravating the uretha. So I had been umming and ahhing about one of those split seats. But the price, the perhaps maybe nature of the causation and effectivness of the saddles puts me off.

I ran a Selle Italia SL on my old road bike. The whacking great hole in that definitely made it comfortable. I was doing 50 milers and the only thing hurting was my legs.

I've got a Charge Spoon on the Raleigh Merlin which is brilliant even in normal clothes.

Alan O

Über Member
No saddle is comfortable when you're not wearing some form of padded shorts/underwear.
That is simply not true.

But to answer the question, nobody can tell you what saddle will be comfortable for you... but you'll be risking a relatively small sum if you try a Charge Spoon (and their resale value is reasonable).

I have a Spoon on one of my bikes, and I find it very comfortable up to around 40-50 miles, but beyond that the super comfort of my Brooks Cambium takes over.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just to throw the cat in I like saddle discussions. If you think padding makes a saddle comfortable. Buy a gel pad for the saddle and try and ride 200kms.

James Haydn who has won TCR twice took all the padding off his saddle and cut the nose down on it. I ride with the Infinity saddle. I can ride all day and all night on it. I now think, less is more. When I find a whizz with a 3d printer I will try and make one similar to the infinity. Ths infinity is expensive. I am sure they can be made for less and also made to measure.
IMG_20180828_134233.jpg

fatjel

Veteran
I use charge spoons which has proved not to cause too much pain on 200 mile + rides and is comfortable without padded shorts for short rides of 50 miles or so

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sorry, that's just plain wrong.
You would think so. But you would be so wrong Very popular with the RAM riders and Caroline Item has just completed her second TCR using one. My Brooks Flyer is screwed to the ceiling of my workshop now.

jay clock

Massive member
+ 1 for Spoons. Or plus 4 in my case. Try it and see. I have got to the point where I know I like them, so ideal for most bikes. Although my tourer does have a Brooks B17 and I found the Spoon less comfortable possibly due to being more upright on it

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got a charge spoon on 2 of my bikes, my Charge Plug commuter came with one as standard and I recently fitted one to the Kona. I highly rate them, although to be honest I get on with the other 3 saddles in my fleet equally well. I must have a standard bottom :okay:

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have a charge spoon on one bike and a charge knife on another to be honest the only difference is the (very marginal) weight difference . Other than that they both feel the same to me, by which l mean l just don't know they are there...no feeling issues and no discomfort .

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again and thanks for all your posts. .
I've been out on the bike tonight to try the Charge spoon saddle out. I only did around 16 miles but it was noticeably more comfortable than the Specialized Riva. No pressure points to mention in my backside. I did have a "very slight " numbness in the nether regions but I think it's just down to the saddle not being adjusted correctly. One noticeable thing that was much better than the previous rides was that my hands felt better on the bars tonight. No pins and needles what so ever. I only guess it's down to the seat position as it's the only thing I've changed.
Overall I'm very pleased with the seat and glad I've given it a chance.
Thanks again fellow friends on all your help :-) ( were would I be without you )

Tom B

Guru
Hi again and thanks for all your posts. .
I've been out on the bike tonight to try the Charge spoon saddle out. I only did around 16 miles but it was noticeably more comfortable than the Specialized Riva. No pressure points to mention in my backside. I did have a "very slight " numbness in the nether regions but I think it's just down to the saddle not being adjusted correctly.

Nose it down a touch, my spoon is noticeably lower at the front than other seats. So much so it often gives rise to comment. But it works for me.

Now try 50 or 60 miles one one. I was fine up to about 30, then it was like Vlad the Impaler had popped in for tea.

It wasn't tea he popped in for....

Top Bottom