Sport chat - really boring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never been a team sportist, other than rugby as a young man. I put it down to living with my Mum in my teens, not that I'm remotely bothered.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Football, what's that?
It's apparently quite popular among humans and involves two teams of often hugely overpaid minor celebrities kicking an inflated bag of air around a big lawn in an attempt to marshall it into a net...sort of. When footy banter starts in our office, I just ignore it.

PK99

Legendary Member
It's apparently quite popular among humans and involves two teams of often hugely overpaid minor celebrities kicking an inflated bag of air around a big lawn in an attempt to marshall it into a net...sort of. When footy banter starts in our office, I just ignore it.

Is there any non-work banter you do join in with?

Heh, well I'm from the totally polar opposite of the spectrum - a gal who really loves her sports and who also happens to be a nerdy techy / engineering / sci-fi geekette. :blush:

Yes, it was hell at school (I went to an all-girls school) and no, I didn't fit in with all the talk about make-up, pop music, films etc... You can add reality TV, soaps, babies and celebrities to that lot as well. Other than a short flirtation with watching Neighbours in order to join in with everyone else, the only time I really talked with most of my classmates was on Monday mornings, as football was a bit of an interest; Sir Trevor Brooking's daughter and Bob McNab's daughter were in my year. I grew up a stone's throw away from Highbury / Emirates, and mum and I are big Arsenal fans.

I'm really geeky when it comes to motor racing - not just drivers, but the tech. Those that know me well are kind of used to it, but it does kind of surprise people who don't know me. :laugh: I will, however, umm, moderate my enthusiasm according to the company I keep. Some of my friends love motorsports, while others loathe it...

To me this is just another example of a failure to understand some people have a deep like, love, interest in something you dont

its the opposite with me, I understand people have a deep love of football, but numerous people cant or refuse to understand that I don't, ive had statements like...
"what do you mean you don't like football" you're just weird,.....
yet I don't think anyone that doesn't like cycling is weird

Reactions: C R

dodgy

When I first joined the RAF as a youngster with a Liverpool accent, it took quite a few years for people to realise I was immune to football banter on Monday mornings. You know, like "eh, see the blues got battered by Man U on Saturday" Me = <clueless facial expression>.

Dried up in the end, until a new guy joined the unit and it all started again until he was educated.

I'm just glad Lance wasn't riding then.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
The thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in.

View: https://youtu.be/NKHyqjHqQLU

:notworthy::notworthy:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Is there any non-work banter you do join in with?
Quite a lot. It's just that footy banter between the blokes gets boring...very boring. In fact, so far beyond boring it would take light many years to reach it. The girls are much more fun to banter with.

Reactions: C R

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I used to follow football and play for a team from age 9-11. I was actually really pleased when I went to secondary school and I found people with more to talk about. I have relatives who are football fanatics and I find football talk extremely boring. Most of them know that it's pointless trying to talk about it though. Luckily the 3 males I work with have no interest in football either.

My ex-step son has always been a fanatic in terms of playing it, and goes to Plymouth Argle games with his Grandad, but never follows anything else to do with it, nor talks about it, which I think is great.

byegad

Legendary Member
When I went to a Durham College, back in the late 60s, I soon made friends. In our group we discussed sex, politics, sex, philosophy and sometimes sex. Another group coalesced on the topic of football. They talked about it whenever they were together, teams, individuals, best goals any aspect of the game was covered over and over again.
This went on for the first two terms, and we at first became bored and later bemused, then amused by their single minded conversations. As we went home for the Easter break we wondered if their conversation would change to cricket for the next term. To our amazement they continued to talk about football. his went on for the whole of our three years. Now I follow F1 motor racing, another of our old group is into steam railways, third into old LP records and when we get together we talk about those topics, and sex and our lives.
I have never understood, their single minded, single topic three year conversation. Maybe someone can explain?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I work with people who were almost all born and bred within five miles of the office; there are very few who moved to the area as I did for the job. My sales Director, who is a well-travelled but loud, clumsy, boorish, big swinging-dick Alpha male type also born and bred in the area, talks about little other than footy and cricket. When I announced that this summer I will be retiring and moving to Scotland he looked at me in genuine puzzlement and asked: "But what are you going to do?" As if walking, climbing, wild swimming, cycling, rowing, canoeing, skiing, making stuff in our workshop, exploring Scotland and camping on Hebridean islands aren't enough. Then in a later conversation he asked me, puzzled again: "But... do you actually know anybody there?" As if you've got to know people when you move! I've got to go on an overseas trip with him next April, which I'm dreading because I've no idea what we are going to talk about.

Top Bottom