Sport chat - really boring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We have a lot of footie chat in our household as both Lovely Wife and I are Chelsea FC fans - we both love it. :smile:

When I met her she was already a Chelsea fan (a former boyfriend got her involved) and to me this was the cherry on top of the icing on the cake - there was me thinking ok she's drop dead gorgeous, vivacious, very funny, very clever and an outrageous flirt but what really differentiated her from the crowd?

CFC fandom swung it for me. :ohmy: :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
i'll have to consult my diary.

There's a lot of folks, seemingly need rescuing from tedium :rolleyes:

in the meantime why not play 'spot the shelter'

View attachment 502309

Looks a bit like Cadair Idris

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Folks have postulated that a fascination for team sports, and almost fanatical team loyalty, is a substitute for the 'antelope' hunt of our prehistoric days.

Victory for 'our team' meant feasting, upon the collective spoils.

I spose those of us not so interested were quite happy to make do with nuts and berries, if it meant that we were relieved of all the noisy shouting, and perpetual stories of that time when Gruff just narrowly missed a mammoth headshot with his hand axe..

You will be able to transfer that allegiance to pro cycling with the new Bahrain McLaren Merida team.

Not sure how much involvement McLaren will have, maybe use their wind tunnel or produce some trick carbon components.

I'd say probably in the area of marginal gains and strategy, as that's what's so critical in motor racing as well.

Pro cycling is a funny one for me, as I tend to cheer on or boo (delete as appropriate) individual riders rather than any specific team. :laugh:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Pro cycling is a funny one for me, as I tend to cheer on or boo (delete as appropriate) individual riders rather than any specific team. :laugh:
As with me, and I think most of us. Teams in cycling and motor racing are only temporary institutions (Ferrari excepted) and they have no long standing local roots unlike football, rugby or cricket teams. There is no time to build up any affinity before they disappear from the sport.

As with me, and I think most of us. Teams in cycling and motor racing are only temporary institutions (Ferrari excepted) and they have no long standing local roots unlike football, rugby or cricket teams. There is no time to build up any affinity before they disappear from the sport.

Cycling teams yes, as sponsors come and go...

Ferrari have been in F1 the longest, true, but McLaren have a history that is almost as lengthy, while Williams have been competing since 1972. And the DNA of the current Renault team can be traced all the way back to Toleman and the early 1980s... All the other have more recent history, but both Mercedes and Red Bull have been there in one guise or another since the late 90s (BAR & Stewart respectively) and Sauber since the early 90s.

OK, yes, I know I'm a geek... :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So glad to know I'm not alone in not getting team sports. Phew, that's a relief.

I did use to enjoy playing rounders, and basketball for fun now and then - my main 'skill' for the second, was being relatively tall.

But I really can't see the point of watching other people do it.

Each to their own though, and their are times when the roads are really nice and quiet for cycling if there's a big match on. :okay:

I did use to enjoy playing rounders, and basketball for fun now and then - my main 'skill' for the second, was being relatively tall.

But I really can't see the point of watching other people do it.

Each to their own though, and their are times when the roads are really nice and quiet for cycling if there's a big match on. :okay:

Oh yes, some sports are definitely far better from the doing perspective than the watching perspective. :okay: Like fencing - there's not many things more satisfying than cracking people (legitimately) over the head with a sabre. ^_^ Or tennis, say.

Other sports, well I don't mind listening to a radio commentary while I'm doing other things, but you won't catch me watching them or playing them. Golf, for instance. I'd much rather stick needles in my eyeballs... :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oh yes, some sports are definitely far better from the doing perspective than the watching perspective. :okay: Like fencing - there's not many things more satisfying than cracking people (legitimately) over the head with a sabre. ^_^ Or tennis, say.

Other sports, well I don't mind listening to a radio commentary while I'm doing other things, but you won't catch me watching them or playing them. Golf, for instance. I'd much rather stick needles in my eyeballs... :laugh:
:rolleyes:
I hope you do realise you're not meant to crack ppl about with the tennis bat

Personally I prefer silent tennis.

What's that??

Just like ordinary tennis, but without the racket.. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thanks for the giggle, hun! :okay:

Nope, I reserve myself to whacking people with sabres. And foils. And epees. Not tennis rackets... :laugh:

Nice - civilised violence :okay:

I've always wondered about golf - it seems to be the 'sport' of choice for those with the mostest munny in the whole world - out of all the things they could choose - they choose that - whats the big appeal i wonder??

Top Bottom