Sportive do's and dont's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Hi all. Have signed up for my first ever sportive and Having never riden in a sportive or even a small group before its all new to me . Now I'm not looking to race but just enjoy it but if i decide to push on a bit and pass other cyclists what are the do's and don'ts in a sportive . Don't want to piss any other partisipants off.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Do enjoy yourself
Do ride at your own pace
Do make use of the food stops.

Don't get involved in all the silly fake race stuff that some people get involved in, especially at the start.

:okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Shout "ON YOUR RIGHT" at every opportunity, even if you're going past the left. Don't forget to pull your brakes on without warning, on a blind bend, to wait for your mate, and try to stand in the middle of the road, that's the 'done thing'.

The last couple I've done I've not heard "on your right" so much - it seems to be the new shout is now " full speed right" from very serious looking chaps, generally clad all in black and giving it the full beans as they pass within two inches of your elbow...

The last couple I've done I've not heard "on your right" so much - it seems to be the new shout is now " full speed right" from very serious looking chaps, generally clad all in black and giving it the full beans as they pass within two inches of your elbow...
Ah yes, wear black, and be 'moody', like you're doing a photo shoot for Rapha.

13 rider

Guru
Just enjoy the day . Be aware of people around you and don't do anything suddenly without warning . If your stopping just check behind you and say your stopping . Let the pretend racers go, start towards the back and just ride at your pace . If your not confident in a group just leave a gap and you will be fine and you will have a blast . Let us know how you get on

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You have to have stubble.. Don't shave for a day or two! You can't look to be 'in the zone' without a millimetre of beard growth.

Seriously though, enjoy it. No sudden changes of direction or stops. Use the feed stations, that's what they're provided for.

Have fun.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Aim for a negative split, there's nothing like passing all the eager beavers on the way back to the finish line whilst they cramp up at the side of the road.

Top Bottom