Sportive do's and dont's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
The last couple I've done I've not heard "on your right" so much - it seems to be the new shout is now " full speed right" from very serious looking chaps, generally clad all in black and giving it the full beans as they pass within two inches of your elbow...
I was on a club run once and we were approaching a T junction.
One rider shouted "Which Way" and one of the others called out "Left" and the first rider thankfully replied "Right" (meaning OK).
- can you imagine the chaos behind

User269

Don't enter sportives?
Do Audax instead?

Don't do either. Enter a race or just go for a ride on your own or with friends; to mecycling is all about freedom, enjoying the environment and the space it can afford. And along with that goes the opportunity to push your self hard, or just dawdle along, without bothering anyone. Why choose to ride in a day long traffic jam?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Don't: Whatever you do, don't ever mention on Cycle Chat that you're doing a sportive. You'll just attract a load of grumbling about gel wrappers, CO2 canisters, pretend racing et al.

Do: Have fun, pace yourself, and enjoy it!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Here's some advice for any of us in the vicinity of such an event:

How to stay safe around Sportivists. A Guide

We want cyclists to stay safe when cycling near other vehicles, especially larger ones, like sportive riders. The safety advice is simple, “Stay safe, stay away”.

The “Stay safe, stay away” advice applies to cyclists when cycling near to moving Sportive riders or approaching any stationary Sportivists on the road, at junctions, traffic lights, on climbs or at feed stations. It's important to stay out of the risk zone and get into a position where the sportive rider can see you over their Garmin.

Follow our tips below to find out how to protect yourself.

Safety tips

Cycle sensibly and assertively to help yourself. Stay safe, especially at traffic lights, junctions, corners, straight roads, climbs, descents, and anywhere that might be a Strava segment.

* Recognise that sportive riders may not be able to see you, and are often oblivious to your presence.

*Never cycle up the left side of a sportivist riding in the middle of the road.

*Look out for sportive riders wandering left or right for no reason in front of you.

*If a rider comes up behind you, move forward enough merely to ensure you are in the sportivist’s field of vision and in no way to try and drop them.

*In front of a Sportive rider is often the safest place to be. When you need to overtake a large sportivist, do so on the right-hand side at speed, so that the rider can’t keep up with you.

Be Aware

The risk zone area can be the full length and width of the road, with the sportivist unable to see anyone cycling beside them on the left, or the right.

*Both new and experienced cyclists have been hurt in collisions with sportivists. This often happens when a sportive rider veers left to stop on a climb, to look at the view, to take off his gilet, to put on his arm-warmers or turn into a feed zone, hitting innocent cyclists on the nearside.

*Don't assume any large gap between sportivists is safe. When veering across the road for no reason large riders often wobble over to the right before they swing sharply across to the left to stop.

*Don't risk your life by trying to pass sportive riders when they are stopped at junctions, they may simply be confused by the event direction arrows and could suddenly turn either left or right. Wait until they have moved on, and turn the other way.

“Stay safe, stay away” is dedicated to reducing sportivists danger to cyclists through the use of awareness and reliability trials.

Top Bottom