Sportive/Event advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Sorry guys if this is in the wrong section, i wasn't sure where was best.

Like a lot of you, i'm looking to enter a couple of events this year with my goal by the end of the year to have completed a 100 mile event.

To build up to that i'm looking to join a club to learn a lot more, get more experience riding in a group and build up my mileage on a regular basis. In addition, i'm considering 1 or 2 other events with smaller total miles that will assist my experience and get me used to attending events and continuing my enjoyment.

One of which i've just been reading about is the Cotswold Classic (which i'd attempt the 100km)
http://www.cotswoldspringclassic.co.uk/

This is only about an hour's drive away from me, but i'm unsure of the best preperation of an event.
1 - Do i get up, fuel myself (breakfast etc) and drive straight there for 7/8am? or will an hours drive and a 64 mile ride be too much?
OR
2 - Book into a hotel the night before and go to the event from the hotel? But if i take this option, what do i do for breakfast?

So, has anyone done this event before and what was it like?
What is the best option above and why?
Those of you who do these type of events that aren't local, how do you prepare / get to events / arrange things in the morning etc?

As you can tell, there's a whole heap of things i need to get my head around before going for something like this.

Many thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would drive. Fuel with a good breakfast first. You won't expend much energy driving.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I asked a very similar question about 4 months ago. The advice on here was sound and it was eat a good breakfast with liquid e.g. porridge/water, cup of tea. I then drove for about an hour and did a £100km sportive. Before this I'd only done 35km max in one go and I finished the 100km no problem. One mistake I made was that I only took fluids on the ride - big mistake - there were no food stops/free food and I was famished and drained so make sure you take you take 2 bottles on the ride, energy bars and energy gels and bananas (if there are food stops just take a couple of gels and a couple of energy bars just in case). I was told don't worry, if you can do 35km then you can do 100km.....they were right. Good luck

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Cheers guys!

bff - Fantastic post, thank you. :thumbsup: There's doing 100km on a nice course and there's doing 100km on a horrendous course... how did you decide what sort of event to do for your first one? There's me looking at the cotswold one, but if its as hilly as home its not going to be as enjoyable as first thought....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I would recommend driving if its only an hour.If your like me you will get better sleep at home and can organise your own breakfast. I put the bike and clothes etc in the car the night before then get up have breakfast and go.

Aim to get there at least 45 minutes before the start put the bike together sign on or whatever you do on that one eat something before the start then get out there and enjoy it.Remember its not a race especially at the start take it easy .

If you are doing a 100 km event if you do at least 60km in training you will get round ok. Its amazing how much it helps riding in groups. If you have time to do lots of training do a 100km ride a few weeks before the event then you wont have any fear of the distance.Rest up for several days before the event and you will fly it.

Plenty of hills around Pontyclun to train on. The back road hill up from Aberthin to the A48 by the Downs Cafe is a good test of legs and lungs :thumbsup:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
1 - Do i get up, fuel myself - I have Porridge and then drive there , ride and continue eating small amounts often with plenty of fluids and then drive back home

I have never had any problems , drove 2 hrs , done a hundred miler and then drove back so i would dont have second thoughts about it , just do it and enjoy

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Plenty of hills around Pontyclun to train on. The back road hill up from Aberthin to the A48 by the Downs Cafe is a good test of legs and lungs :thumbsup:

ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not even keen on it coming down , when the club run stops at the caff. I woudn't even think about it going up! :-(

Saying that, last year I did slay two of my local dragons, Llangeinor mountain and the hill from Ewenny to Llampha.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Cheers guys!

bff - Fantastic post, thank you. :thumbsup: There's doing 100km on a nice course and there's doing 100km on a horrendous course... how did you decide what sort of event to do for your first one? There's me looking at the cotswold one, but if its as hilly as home its not going to be as enjoyable as first thought....
To be honest Gaz I didn't give the terrain much consideration before the event I just decided to do it because it was relatively close to me and the date was good for me. However, it was quite hilly with one particularly bad hill that I walked halfway up. There was no shame as others were walking too but I wouldn't let the terrain put me off. I've done a couple since and one was very flat which did seem really quite easy. My normal 35k route doesn't involve any hills so I really wouldn't worry - what's the worst that can happen? That sportive was my first "group" ride and I really enjoyed it - since then I've got a small group of mates I ride with and I've joined a club for Sunday morning runs. Just give it a go and I think you'll see there is absolutely nothing to worry about. It's not a race and there is no shame at all going on your own or doing it at your own pace because most will do just that. Enjoy it.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I'm going to do the Macmillan 100 mile in Dorset on 1st July :smile: leaves from my home village amazingly!

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Fabulous replies, many thanks guys. I'll definitely take all the points on board.

Found a small club (group of riders really) just down the road, so i'm going to go out with them to start with, build up the mileage and go from there. I'm sure once i start to spend more time in the saddle and complete more miles, completing 100km may seem far more doable come April.

Definitely a target to aim for and i pretty much agree that i'll drive down in the morning if i go for the Cotswold Classic.

Much appreciated guys cheers! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom