Sportive St Andrews - 26th August 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I know it's always at the owners risk, but will there be anywhere to leave a bag or spare clothes etc for those without their own transport?

I will most likely be driving through to the start so if it helps you can keep your things in my car?

I'm thinking of doing this sportive as well. Probably stay the previous night in St.Andrews to avoid a really early start

I was wanting to do that too but its money.... :ohmy:

Is this building to a CC outing?

I hope so ^_^

redcard

Veteran
I will most likely be driving through to the start so if it helps you can keep your things in my car?

I was wanting to do that too but its money.... :ohmy:

I hope so ^_^

Sounds good, thanks for the offer.

I think I'm either going to do this, or Pedal for Scotland, or possibly even both. Might treat the girlfriend to a weekend in St Andrews, and that'll solve my transport issues. Cheapest hotels are around £250 for the 2 nights, which is a bit more than i would like to pay.

Think this sounds way more appealing than PFS

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Sounds good, thanks for the offer.

I think I'm either going to do this, or Pedal for Scotland, or possibly even both. Might treat the girlfriend to a weekend in St Andrews, and that'll solve my transport issues. Cheapest hotels are around £250 for the 2 nights, which is a bit more than i would like to pay.

Think this sounds way more appealing than PFS

No problem :smile:

Can't afford to stay the night as much as I would like to and I manage to get up and drive to Edinburgh then get the bus to Glasgow for PFS, if you haven't done PFS before I recommend it :smile: cycles are far enough apart aswell to allow you to both ;)

ACS

Legendary Member
A quick review of route 2. http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_1817376.html

The first 6 miles are easy on the legs. From the turn on to the B940 it’s a steady, but not steep, more of a drag up towards Peat Inn (approx 10 mile point). Cracking run downhill to Pitscottie. Short climb from the Pitscottie crossroads out towards Cupar. Long steady descent down into the Cupar, the road surface is a little bumpy from repairs.

Once through the traffic lights the road between Cupar and the A92 is a little more challenging one short steep section (10% 1:10) the rest is fast descents and steady climbs. Middle ring territory. Caution crossing the A92. The traffic from your left and right is fast moving.

From the A92 the road climbs steadily towards Hazelton Walls. Again not overly steep just a case of keeping calm and spinning on. The road from Hazelton Walls to Newburgh is one of my favourite training roads, cracking view over the Tay, steady drop on a good surface. Never fails to lift my spirits. The first feed station is in Newburgh.

The road from Newburgh to Auchtermuchty has a 1.5 mile climb with an average of 3.5% interesting but not devastating difficult. 'Muchty to Falkland is a very,very gentle climb on a good quality road. The route between Falkland and the turn just before entering Cupar is mostly flat and a fairly busy road for traffic.

The climb up the A916 (known locally as the Gallie Bank) is 1.6 miles with an average of 3.8%. This hill looks more challenging than it really is. The climb is steady, no sudden ramps, one to be climbed at a steady tempo with the knowledge that the second feed station is just over the top.

Out of the feed station at Hill of Tarvit, short drop into Craigrothie and a moderate but short climb to the junction. Turn left for brisk run back to Pitscottie. The road surface when travelling through Ceres is not good at all. Caution is recommended.

On entering Pitscottie a quick left and right onto the Kemback / Dura Den road. Fast run down to the bridge. Be aware that one or two of the bends can catch you out speed wise. This road requires a little respect if it is to be ridden safely. (IMO of course and I commute on it every day)

Over the bridge (caution look left for vehicles coming over the bridge they cannot see you approaching) short flat section and on to the hill known as Knockhill of Nydie. Save a bit for this climb 1.4 miles with an average of 4.3%. Coming at the 60 mile point IMO this is the one that will cause most anguish.

I have a love-hate relationship with this climb; do it most days on my commute. Some say climbing never gets easier you just get faster. Not on this beast you don’t! The hill crests by the caravan park and then its 5 miles downhill to the finish for tea and buns .

ACS

Legendary Member
Sounds like quite a hard 65 miles :ohmy:

Think ill decide on the day which route ill be doing :laugh:

Speaking from the perspective of being a firmly established member of grupetto ‘Lanterne Rouge’ I don't think route 2 is a hard route compared say to the Kinross Sportive black or red routes.

In my very humble opinion the route is certainly challenging and some of the more ‘scenic’ sections which fall toward the end of the ride may test fitness levels. I firmly believe that the organiser has designed a balanced route which it is certainly achievable by a cyclist with a fair level of fitness and a determination to succeed.

Out of the 3 it would (may) be my choice, route 3 is longer distance wise but no more difficult when the amount of climbing and severity of the climbs is taken into consideration.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Speaking from the perspective of being a firmly established member of grupetto ‘Lanterne Rouge’ I don't think route 2 is a hard route compared say to the Kinross Sportive black or red routes.

In my very humble opinion the route is certainly challenging and some of the more ‘scenic’ sections which fall toward the end of the ride may test fitness levels. I firmly believe that the organiser has designed a balanced route which it is certainly achievable by a cyclist with a fair level of fitness and a determination to succeed.

Out of the 3 it would (may) be my choice, route 3 is longer distance wise but no more difficult when the amount of climbing and severity of the climbs is taken into consideration.

I figure however long it takes me i would love to complete the longest route, done most of the black route of the kinross sportive a few weeks back and ended up doing 72 miles, although i was shattered after about 50 :laugh:

Reactions: ACS

redcard

Veteran
I figure however long it takes me i would love to complete the longest route, done most of the black route of the kinross sportive a few weeks back and ended up doing 72 miles, although i was shattered after about 50 :laugh:

Why not do the middle route and get a decent time, rather than struggling with the full distance?

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
hope it`s not to windy for this sportive..

on monday afternoon we were going up to our caravan at clyaton, so i decided i would cycle it, well the wind was crazy, in my face all the way from alloa, i got to auchtermuchty and i had to get the girlfriend to pick me up, i couldn`t go any further, i really rubbish 27 mile and it felt like i had cycled 100 mile, i`ve never felt wind like that

Top Bottom