Sports clubs that make no effort to train novices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I just feel like having a rant about this. Many many years ago my younger brother became fascinated by Scuba diving so aged about 15 he joined a club in Northumberland. It was a bad experience; the other members made no effort to welcome him into their circle, especially when they all retired to the pub for an after-dive drink. One particular day he went out with an experienced buddy and the support boat missed them and the two of them got swept right round a headland before they managed to swim ashore then stagger, exhausted, with all their kit back to the start point. Our parents were so shocked that they telephoned the club chairman and ripped him to bits then banned my brother from diving again.

I had a similar bad experience with a climbing club from a town in the west midlands; I was in Scotland and it was agreed that a small group of us would walk the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glencoe, In summer it's a committing route because there is no escape from the ridge and in winter conditions it's doubly-committing and requires a fast-moving, competent team. I ended up with an experienced couple and an ill-equipped and inexperienced young woman who was prospecting for membership. We started too late and quite soon the other couple abandoned us, leaving me to shepherd the novice. The fast-moving couple shot along to the end of the ridge and glissaded down to the pub but we ran out of daylight at the top of the steep Clachaig gully. My companion turned out not to have a torch so there followed an agonising couple of hours while the two of us edged down the icy gully in the dark, me dry-mouthed and praying my battery wouldn't run out. When we reached the pub exhausted they were well into their drinks and dinner and seemed unconcerned. That was when I decided that club was not for me.

More recently I was a member of a mountain biking club for some years when I saw numerous new members come along and fail because the club made no effort to help them, advise or train and in one case prevent a couple of members from abusing the new members racially. Prospective members were pushed beyond their ability, crashed painfully or just couldn't keep up and didn't come back. Club meetings were usually taken up with discussing the lack of new members.

A couple of weekends ago though I went out with a local shop club for a hilly 50 miler and the leader was the first I've ever seen who took his role seriously; he kept the pace down to suit the slowest member, a gentleman in his mid 60s and he dropped back occasionally to give slower riders a pull back to the group. I told him he was the most conscientious ride leader I've met. he is an RAF officer so presumably accustomed to thinking about others in his care.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There is a school of thought that speculates that mamy clubs, and other organisations, get "captured" by the wants of the current membership, and their leadership, and that new members are only sought, and required, insofar as they feed the wants of the incumbents.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
In my canoe club days we spent an inordinate amount of time coaching and helping beginners. I would coach 1 & 2* on two nights a week from April to October, Sunday evening pool sessions from September to May, at least one white water trip a month where I'd lead a group. Then there were committee meetings etc...

This is one of the reasons I'd had enough after 6-7 years. When you're introducing newcomers to a sport you impinge on your own time.

This is why I'm in my own cycling club!

And @GrumpyGregry has a point.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've quit the "club" I founded. I think that's the third one. They are ticking over very nicely but not seeking new members.

pclay

Veteran
The thing about new or inexperienced members, is that you need someone to take on the a role to look after the beginners, to make sure they are ok. If no-one volunteers for this, then it's difficult to cater for beginners.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Those of you who have had problems with clubs, were they clubs that claimed to support newcomers? And were the claims credible, saying things like not abandoning any participant?

What's credible? I know a club which claims to welcome new members but says no more than that and a bland claim to be inclusive, telling you to contact the organisers before showing up. I think that's a warning sign, based on my experience of it.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
In my case it was extremely dangerous; the novice was ill-equipped and shouldn't even have been allowed to start the route. If the weather had turned bad or my torch battery had conked out we'd have needed some help.

ozboz

Guru
I'd have thought it was 'bad form' if not downright dangerous to leave anyone to fend for themselves whilst walking in remote areas.
In the OP a 15 year old kid was left in the sea ?
That has got to be bordering on criminal ! even if he was with an experienced diver ,

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd have thought it was 'bad form' if not downright dangerous to leave anyone to fend for themselves whilst walking in remote areas.
I'd have thought it was absolutely disgraceful. I've had no experience of such clubs, but it doesn't surprise me to hear they vary enormously, with caring & accommodating ones at one end and 'keep up or ship out' ones at t'other. I would guess that like most such small communities the tone is set by one or a few dominant personalities: sometimes nice people motivated by a love of the pursuit and a desire to help others enjoy it; sometimes self-styled alpha male peanuts with no interest in anything beyond displaying their own magnificence. But a sink or swim philosophy is one thing in a club dedicated to tennis, quite another when it's in a pursuit where 'not keeping up' can lead to death. Are these clubs entirely unregulated? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
the novice was ill-equipped and shouldn't even have been allowed to start the route.

I was wondering about that. Why was she allowed to start? Didn't you think to say something to her yourself before you set off?

Novices also have the responsibility to ensure that they have some idea what they are letting themselves in for, that they have the equipment they will need and that someone is both able and willing to support/guide them. It's not reasonable to just turn up to a club event and expect others to give up their fun day out to be your nanny.

I ride with a cycling club that is very supportive of newbies and runs lots of supported rides and coaching sessions. But it would be entirely unreasonable for a newbie to turn up to, eg, a race team training ride and expect the group to slow down and wait for you if you can't keep up.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the OP a 15 year old kid was left in the sea ?
That has got to be bordering on criminal ! even if he was with an experienced diver ,

My young brother went out with an older, more experienced buddy. When they surfaced, somehow the safety boat managed to miss them and they were carried away round the headland by the current, managing to swim ashore in the next bay. I hope that kind of thing can't happen nowadays but I fear it probably could if the boat skipper was incompetent.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was wondering about that. Why was she allowed to start? Didn't you think to say something to her yourself before you set off?

In a situation like that where you are also an aspiring member you don't think to question another member's clothing and equipment, especially when the walk starts with two established club members who look well-equipped and experienced; you assume they know what they are doing. What disgusted me was that their version of mountaincraft said: "Naff off to the pub and don't worry about the frightened girl being shepherded along by that other bloke." For me, mountaineering lore is something akin to maritime lore; you look after your buddies and you go to the assistance of anybody in difficulty, without hesitation.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
In my case it was extremely dangerous; the novice was ill-equipped and shouldn't even have been allowed to start the route. If the weather had turned bad or my torch battery had conked out we'd have needed some help.

It's not wholly unreasonable to expect anyone hillwalking in scotland, to have the basics like a torch, compass, woolly hat anorak and so on, particularly in winter. Unless someone was an utter utter novice, I'd not be giving someone a kit list - and if they were that novicy shouldn't they have asked? If they turned up just in flip flops and metalica t-shirt I might have made some comment, but if they turned up in an anorak and crampons I'd not really be checking the rest of someone's kit.. That said buggering off when some of the party are struggling is a bit off to say the least, unless it's formally agreed to split the group

Top Bottom