Sporty, non bulky mudguards for flat bar hybrid/road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I need some suggestions for a set (or buy seperately providing they kind of match) of mudguards/boards.
The bike is a 2022 Giant Fastroad Advanced 1.

I don't want a traditional type set up and don't want a nice new sporty looking machine to look like a shopping or commuting bike.
I'd like something sleek, sporty and not too bulky, like so many MTB guards seems to be.

I'd like something that isn't just a cheap piece of plastic origami, so either carbon or decent plastic that I don't have to fold into shape.
I'd like the rear guard to be seat post mounted (not sticking out from the seat or fixed to the rear forks, and to be fairly short/stubby, but not too wide (disproportionate to the 32mm tyres/ 700c wheels) and not a long awkward looking thing.
I'd like the front guard to be mounted under the down tube, not onto the fork. Again not too wide for the wheels/tyres (remember this is not a MTB but a flat bar road/hybrid bike)

I've looked online but everything is either too crappy, too wide, too long, wrong type/fitting or combinations of all of them.

Am I looking for a uniciorn? surely not!
Any suggestions?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SKS full guards or go home. The short ones are pretty useless - they just stop mud going in your eye. If it's wet you will get a soaking. A decent pair of SKS's can fit closely with the tyres and it won't look like a shopper.

As you say in your paragraph above, most 'shortie ones' are quite wide

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Fitting to seat post sounds like you don't care about the soaking from around the seat tube and fitting to downtube likewise you'll get stuff coming up from the front wheel and into your eye. These things need to go all the way around at the back and a fair way out through the front fork like traditional front fork and seat stay bridge mounted jobbies. As fossy says - SKS

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

SKS full guards or go home. The short ones are pretty useless - they just stop mud going in your eye. If it's wet you will get a soaking. A decent pair of SKS's can fit closely with the tyres and it won't look like a shopper.

As you say in your paragraph above, most 'shortie ones' are quite wide

Fitting to seat post sounds like you don't care about the soaking from around the seat tube and fitting to downtube likewise you'll get stuff coming up from the front wheel and into your eye. These things need to go all the way around at the back and a fair way out through the front fork like traditional front fork and seat stay bridge mounted jobbies. As fossy says - SKS

Thanks guys, but I would rather get wet than put full guards on. I've not seen any full guards yet that don't make any bike look like a shopper, sorry.
I had the down tube board/seat post shorty type set on my last bike (now gone) and had no issues, so I'm OK with tyhe same again.
I'll not be riding this bike in the rain much, (unless I get caught out mid-ride) so they're only a 'just in case' thing really.
Trouble is I bought them many (20) years ago and they probably don't make them any more, even if I could remember who made them...which I can't.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I started my club cycling with a CTC group so I don’t have Mudguard phobia . I agree with fossy SKS.
Contrary to the opinion of many cyclists full mudguards on a winter bike are cool . They mark you out as a serious all weather cyclist and therefore Well Ard. :laugh:
You will stay dry and cleaner your bike will be less coated in crud and your headset lower bearing will survive longer.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Another for SKS. I don’t think this looks like a shopper?

441F213C-44BA-4249-B8C2-C5EF4B8869C9.jpeg

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Something like this but shorter....https://www.zppays.ml/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=40288211&pr=73.88

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Question, could the Giant D Fuse seat post cause problems for a seat post fixing?

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant sell mudguards, ask your dealer

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Yeah, I've had a look online for Giant guards but so far nothing that fits the bill. Good call to call the dealer though :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Something like this but shorter....https://www.zppays.ml/ProductDetail.aspx?iid=40288211&pr=73.88

I’ve got something like that in my spares box, barely ever used as it’s fairly ineffective as a mudguard compared to SKS. Happy to send it to you for the cost of the postage to try

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Thanks guys, but I would rather get wet than put full guards on. I've not seen any full guards yet that don't make any bike look like a shopper, sorry.
I had the down tube board/seat post shorty type set on my last bike (now gone) and had no issues, so I'm OK with tyhe same again.
I'll not be riding this bike in the rain much, (unless I get caught out mid-ride) so they're only a 'just in case' thing really.
Trouble is I bought them many (20) years ago and they probably don't make them any more, even if I could remember who made them...which I can't.

A hybrid, will look like hybrid whatever mudguards you put on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom