Sporty, non bulky mudguards for flat bar hybrid/road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hi all,
i have first been flirting with a titanium flat bar but they seem quite expensive but now come across the Giant FastRoad Advanced 1 Carbon which seems to have the speed of a road bike but less punishing on the back and neck. Not seen any reviews as yet so thought I'd canvass a few opinions from the more experienced of you out there.
thahks

A hybrid, will look like hybrid whatever mudguards you put on it.

The Fastroad Advanced 1 is more of a flat bar road bike actually.
It’s a (very) nice looking piece of kit, and I’d like to keep it that way, even if it means some compromise on mudguard effectiveness.

Thanks guys, but I would rather get wet than put full guards on. I've not seen any full guards yet that don't make any bike look like a shopper, sorry.
I had the down tube board/seat post shorty type set on my last bike (now gone) and had no issues, so I'm OK with tyhe same again.
I'll not be riding this bike in the rain much, (unless I get caught out mid-ride) so they're only a 'just in case' thing really.
Trouble is I bought them many (20) years ago and they probably don't make them any more, even if I could remember who made them...which I can't.

I cycled for decades hating the thought of mudguards.

Then one day I got a full set and now I ride them year round.

So much nicer than getting covered in crud.

As has been said - full guards are the only way. Clipping stuff to the bike well away from the tyres is pointless.

freiston

Veteran
You are duplicating almost every post across Cycling UK forum and Cylcechat forum - so expect duplicated responses.

You are asking for "sporty looking" mudguards and are dismissing effective mudguards on account of looks. You then go on to say that you would rather get wet than put on full mudguards. Why bother at all if you don't like the look of mudguards and would rather forsake functionality over looks?

Functional mudguards do look like functional mudguards - they come in different styles but if they're going to do the job, they need to properly cover a good section of the tyre and they need to be secured to the bike. They will look like mudguards because they are mudguards.

If you weren't so hung up on looking sporty you might be able to make a sound purchasing decision instead of all this palaver.

Either get a proper pair of mudguards that will do the job, don't get any mudguards and let the dirt and the wet muck you and the bike up or just don't use your bike in the wet.

freiston

Veteran
I understand that your tyres are 32mm - so you will want a mudguard width of 42-45mm. Racing style mudguards (e.g. Raceblade) will be too narrow - there is an XL version of the SKS Raceblade that is listed as suitable for 25-32mm but personally I think they're a poor fugly compromise for proper mudguards - read the linked review.

Full mudguards need proper support to remain in the correct place, not rattle or shake apart and to be safe. Wire mudguard stays are about the best solution.

I've just looked at the Giant Fastroad Advanced 1 on the Giant website and it appears to not have any mudguard mounting eyes front or rear, nor any mounting facility at the fork crown - so it looks like you're stuck with not being able to fit "proper" mudguards and that the SKS Raceblade Pro XL is about your best credible option.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The Fastroad Advanced 1 is more of a flat bar road bike actually.
It’s a (very) nice looking piece of kit, and I’d like to keep it that way, even if it means some compromise on mudguard effectiveness.

Yes another word for a hybrid, theres no shame in riding a hybrid or a shopper, whatever.lol.
If you think its more important to have your bike looking nice than you being warm and dry and more comfortable then that its totally your choice.
I've had 2 lots of Raceblades and they shift about, So I was forever faffing with them and its annoying. I've got full length SKS mudguards on my road bike and they keep you dryer without a doubt.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Maybe go with the UNiCORN approach, baby carrier rear mudguard, chaingaurd,
tassels to catch the rain off the front wheel?
Screenshot_20220923_211016_com.android.chrome_edit_38444042018091.jpg

Looks kind of sporty :becool:

Top Bottom