Spot welding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Can any NW members recommend a place(ideally Rochdale/Oldham area) for a small spotwelding job..?
Thanks

Adam4868

Guru
What you welding ?

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
These are the internals out of an Edwards oil diffusion pump, the band has become loose completely. It should look like the one on the left....
IMG_1739[1].JPG

Adam4868

Guru
You can spot weld either if you needed to.Depends if you wanted it a neat job or not

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I would say solder is the only option. Can be done with a small blow lamp. I used to have a powerful small chefs torch that was brilliant for doing such things as most soldering irons just don't kick out enough heat for larger jobs like this. (obviously make sure the oil/fuel is removed first, don't want a fireball on your hands...!)

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
The problem with introducing anything but localized heat is deformation. It fits very snugly into a EO4 Vapour pump, the shim centres as well as acting to prevent back backing. Originally it was spot welded.....hence hoping to do the same. I think its a copper alloy but cant be certain neither can be Edwards....they didn't have much of a clue.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The problem with introducing anything but localized heat is deformation. It fits very snugly into a EO4 Vapour pump, the shim centres as well as acting to prevent back backing. Originally it was spot welded.....hence hoping to do the same. I think its a copper alloy but cant be certain neither can be Edwards....they didn't have much of a clue.

Brazing might be too high a temperature then. Soldering probably ok but yeah, go with your original thought of spot welding. Sorry I'm not from your area so can't recommend but most garages have a spot welder, just try a few test pieces first as they'll be set up for mild steel.

(caveat - 30 odd years since I did any coppersmithing and 20-odd since I used a spot welder)

Top Bottom