Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I bought this one (21") last year in as-new condition; I worked out it dates from about 1995. I had to have it for the colour if nothing else! Although it's not seen much road yet, it's been very useful in preventing me buying other tempting things I don't really need. :scratch:

It's newer than 1995, as pre-1996 Pioneer frames were lugged & brazed irrespective whether they were 18-23 Hi-tensile or Reynolds 501. I would suspect it's around 1997/98 given the frame is welded 4130 cro-moly (replacing brazed 501) and I don't recall that model being in the old Raleigh catalogues up to 1997. If it rides like either of my lugged Pioneer frames, it'll be a bike worth keeping hold of.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It's newer than 1995, as pre-1996 Pioneer frames were lugged & brazed irrespective whether they were 18-23 Hi-tensile or Reynolds 501. I would suspect it's around 1997/98 given the frame is welded 4130 cro-moly (replacing brazed 501) and I don't recall that model being in the old Raleigh catalogues up to 1997. If it rides like either of my lugged Pioneer frames, it'll be a bike worth keeping hold of.
Ah OK. Maybe I meant 2000, though I'm struggling to remember what my evidence was!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
1948 Boland royal star bicycle

I thought you were reducing your fleet! Or don't Grandad Bikes count? :laugh:

Look at that geometry! If it was any slacker, you could almost claim it to be a recumbent. Looks in decent condition for the money though, might well prove to be a shrewd purchase. I'm not familiar with these bikes at all. Pretty sure I've never come across them before.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Have to say I really like that. If it was close to me, I'd find it very hard to resist at that price and in such lovely shiny condition.

My sentiments exactly

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Now you've gone and bought this highly obscure machine, you'll have to fill us in on the history of them!. Doing a google search brings up very little, as does trawling for old catalogues. Were they a small genuinely independent maker, or was it a case of badge engineering involving rebranded bikes from one of the big boys?

woodbutcher

Veteran
Why is it that when l am financially embarrassed l see lots of desirable toys (desirable to me at lest) like this :
49206646_1110828442432103_6706126541148913664_o.jpg

woodbutcher

Veteran
where? (not that I could afford it :sad: )
The really annoying thing is that l saw the ad. late last night and it is here in France but so far this morning l can't remember where !
I will have to spend time trawling through the usual sites and see if l can find it again !
What really bugs me is that the asking price is well under €300 , somewhere around 280 if l remember correctly.
Whats that, maybe £250 GBP. :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The really annoying thing is that l saw the ad. late last night and it is here in France but so far this morning l can't remember where !
I will have to spend time trawling through the usual sites and see if l can find it again !
What really bugs me is that the asking price is well under €300 , somewhere around 280 if l remember correctly.
Whats that, maybe £250 GBP. :smile:

That's a fair price and must admit i have days like that where i can't remember where i spotted some bike's for sale , i put it down to my age so whats your excuse ?

woodbutcher

Veteran
That's a fair price and must admit i have days like that where i can't remember where i spotted some bike's for sale , i put it down to my age so whats your excuse ?
Same excuse combined with late in the evening and with a glass of wine in my hand.....and l got the price wrong, he is asking €350 but open to offers. Real drawback is that he is in Italy and wants the buyer to pic up in Bresicia !

Top Bottom