Spring into the Dales 2010 (Yorkshire Dales!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Arch said:
I don't descend all that fast on two wheels, I'm a bit chicken...
Quite a few of the people who come out on my rides seem nervous on the descents - nowt wrong with that! As Shakespeare put it...

Falstaff: 'The better part of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my life.'

I tend to go downhill quite quickly - partly because I weigh so much and don't want to wear my brakes out, and partly because it is payback for having to grovel up the climbs in the first place.

Arch said:
Well, I've printed the entry form off...
Which one have you decided to go for - SitD or LitA?

ColinJ said:
I tend to go downhill quite quickly - partly because I weigh so much and don't want to wear my brakes out, and partly because it is payback for having to grovel up the climbs in the first place.

Spot the Yorkshireman - not tight, just 'careful' :hyper:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I could do with some hill practise. I'll keep an eye out for the ride. If I make it, I'll be joining Arch in the 'I'm at wuss at going down hills' group.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

(You'll have seen this picture already if you read my write-up of last year's event.)

One reason to take it easy on the descents...

dead_forks_large.jpg

Yikes!!! :hyper:

It's also a good advertisement for regular bike maintenance!

Arch

Married to Night Train
ColinJ said:
Which one have you decided to go for - SitD or LitA?

I've printed off both! I'm thinking I might try for the SitD - I should be able to do it, really, but I'm only just building up distance again after winter and a bad back.

Helen - it'd be nice to have some careful company on the downhills!

Hmm, would you be driving over at all?

<winning smile>

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I've printed off both! I'm thinking I might try for the SitD - I should be able to do it, really, but I'm only just building up distance again after winter and a bad back.

Hmm, would you be driving over at all?

<winning smile>

If I'm going I'll be driving so can swing by and pick you up. I'll let you know.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
:hyper:

Sorry, that was a bit cheeky!

Not at all! It had crossed my mind.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Arch said:
I know this route really well so I know where it is safe to go fast and where it isn't.

This descent is one that definitely deserves respect! (Penistone Hill near Haworth).

penistone_hill_descent.jpg

The descent starts off at about 8%-10%, but then it drops away alarmingly at about 17% down to the reservoir where there is a kink in the road and a dry stone wall just where you don't want one!

Make sure that your brake blocks have plenty of life left in them before the event because you'll destroy your wheels if the blocks wear out half way down a big descent. I've done that before now and won't make that mistake again. (Yes Andy - I was trying to eke out just one more ride from the blocks before changing them! :o)

Oh, and remember to bring a lock for your bike. There is a control at a cafe in Keighley where who knows who might be eyeing up your bike.

The event HQ is on the top floor of Salem Mill next to the Co-op in Hebden Bridge so your bike won't be in your sight when you are tucking into the sandwiches and cake at the post-event feast! It also means one final very steep 30% climb to the finish when you least expect one - fortunately you won't have to ride your bike up it! :hyper:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
ColinJ said:
The event HQ is on the top floor of Salem Mill next to the Co-op in Hebden Bridge so your bike won't be in your sight when you are tucking into the sandwiches and cake at the post-event feast! It also means one final very steep 30% climb to the finish when you least expect one - fortunately you won't have to ride your bike up it! :wacko:

The most arduous ascent of the day (for all those who wear Looks and SPD-Rs)! :wacko:

zacklaws

Guru
I sent my entry off for the 110k SITD last weekend, still waiting though.

If anyone needs transport, let me know, but I only have room for 2 and 2 bikes as I have to collapse my back seats.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Having worked out that 110km is 73 miles, I think I might have to opt for the leap into the Aire instead - I don't know that I'm up to 70 on the trike at the mo, kneewise, even flat....

Do they start at the same time? (in other words can I still blag a lift over with Uncle Phil and Mrs Uncle Phil....?)

Also, is my normal CTC membership sufficient for the insurance stuff? If so, I don't need to include the extra fee, right?

longers

Legendary Member
The Leap ride starts an hour later at 10am and also think the CTC membership doesn't cover the insurance angle, I'm fairly sure it needs to be proper Audaxy insurance. Unless I'm wrong :biggrin:

Top Bottom