Spring into the Dales 2010 (Yorkshire Dales!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I've just ordered a change of gear for my fixed, to take it from 69" to 61", which should make the hills a bit easier.

If I get overtaken by Arch, I'll know I'm in trouble (not because she's slow, but the LITA ride starts an hour later).

I've got some new brake blocks on order as well. :evil:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
hulver said:
I've just ordered a change of gear for my fixed, to take it from 69" to 61", which should make the hills a bit easier.

That's just masochism.

The lift offer stands, Arch, as long as you don't mind being there an hour earlier than strictly necessary... and you make sure there are some cakes left for us when we get back.

(On Sunday's ride, they'd run out of jam when we got there!

Well almost. I had the last scone with jam on. Then they'd run out).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
hulver said:

If I get overtaken by Arch, I'll know I'm in trouble (not because she's slow, but the LITA ride starts an hour later).

I've got some new brake blocks on order as well. :sad:
If I hadn't seen longers riding up the steep stuff on his fixed, I'd have said that you were mad! Actually, I still think you guys are mad but chapeau to you all.

draughton_height.jpg

17_percent_sign.jpg

I'll be making full use of my freewheel and a 29" bottom gear! :evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
That's just masochism.

The lift offer stands, Arch, as long as you don't mind being there an hour earlier than strictly necessary... and you make sure there are some cakes left for us when we get back.

(On Sunday's ride, they'd run out of jam when we got there!

Well almost. I had the last scone with jam on. Then they'd run out).

A lift would be brilliant thanks, I was going to PM and ask if it was still ok - being there early will give me a chance to meet all those who are doing the big ride, and warm up a bit. If it's ok, I'd like to bring the trike - I reckon this'll be a good test of whether my double really is enough for me on the French tour this summer - I can't imagine my friend who's route planning the France trip will be routing us over too many needless hills. If you think there's room for it, that'll be great, but I can bring the FCR if not.

I will guard cakes for you like a... vicious guardy thing.

Svendo

Guru
Think I'll make it for this one again this year. I remember it was a very popular and enjoyable ride last year. I did miss the cafe in Keighley that was the last check point, but the organiser kindly took the track on my GPS as proof I'd done the route. Absolutely beautiful countryside in the Dales too.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Svendo said:
Think I'll make it for this one again this year. I remember it was a very popular and enjoyable ride last year. I did miss the cafe in Keighley that was the last check point, but the organiser kindly took the track on my GPS as proof I'd done the route. Absolutely beautiful countryside in the Dales too.
If you like this kind of thing, I suppose so...

dales_lane_wide.jpg

grassington_wide.jpg

I do! :blush:

Steve GT

Photo1 - The lane between Cracoe and Thorpe. One of my favourites.
Photo2 - Same lane, Grassington in the distance. A lovely view on a sunny day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Steve GT said:
Photo1 - The lane between Cracoe and Thorpe. One of my favourites.
Photo2 - Same lane, Grassington in the distance. A lovely view on a sunny day.
That's right! SitD introduced me to that lane. I hadn't spotted it on the map when I prepared my routes for earlier visits to the Dales.

Last year's SitD took us up another new lane - the one from Bolton Abbey to Halton East. I thought that was rather special too, and I liked the change of route up through Draughton and over Draughton Moor.

On a recent CC forum ride, someone pointed out the road from Barden Scale to Embsay and said that was particularly nice - I must check that out some time.

Steve GT

ColinJ said:
On a recent CC forum ride, someone pointed out the road from Barden Scale to Embsay and said that was particularly nice - I must check that out some time.
I rode up there on Wednesday afternoon. Quite a nice climb. Beware on the way down to Eastby, as there is a sharp hairpin bend halfway down the hill.

Fiona N

Veteran
I was hoping to get over to HB for SitD but yesterday I was out in Windermere/Bowness and Storrs delivering leaflets up and down the hilly little roads and I was so knackered, it seems unlikely I'm going to make 110km up and down proper hills. I've been off the bike (as far as 'rides', as opposed to riding to the shops, are concerned) with cold followed by bronchitis but even so I was pretty shocked at how exhausted I was.
I'll have a proper ride tomorrow and see how it goes before making a decision but it not looking good. It seems to becoming a habit - every time I pay in advance for an audax/sportive etc. I end up injured or ill.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Fiona. If you do decide to do SITD and want a leisurely ride with some company, Alun and I will be doing it and probably taking 7-8 hours and you'd be welcome to join us.

I will be navigating by GPS so you wouldn't need to worry about finding your way round.

Rammylad said yesterday that he'd like to come along too and there may be other CC members who opt for a relaxed pace with us.

zacklaws

Guru
I'll probably stick with you, end of day its not a race, more of a social gathering, and as I have discovered in the past after travelling a long distance to unknown places and followed by a fast ride, you think later that you never really saw anything of the countryside as you hurtle along.

I did it in Lake District last year, we raced around Windermere and some other lakes as fast as we could, and then thought back, that we never stopped to look at the lakes etc apart from through watering eyes, took any happy snaps etc and realised that we might as well have been back home on our own roads.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Zack - that is why I started navigating by GPS. I did a 200 km audax ride in 2006 and could hardly remember where I'd been because I spent so much of my time worrying about following the route sheet. My cycle computer calibration didn't agree with the organiser's so I found myself having to add an increasing offset to all the distances on the sheet and it totally distracted me from the ride and the scenery.

Nowadays, I do all the work at home beforehand and just follow the route on the GPS. 99% of my time is free for enjoying the ride, and I have the added pleasure of not getting lost and going round in circles!

Arch

Married to Night Train
If I may hijack for a moment, I'm signed up for the Leap into the Aire, and if anyone else is doing it and fancies a pedestrian pace (not actually walking, but not fast!) it would be good to group up...

Otherwise, I'll no doubt see a lot of you milling about before and after anyway..

Top Bottom