Spring Into The Dales 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I lost 2lb which is a bonus, not to mention amazing considering the amount of food I stuffed in me gob :laugh:
You'll probably find that about 1.5 pounds of that was due to dehydration and about 0.5 actual fat loss. I've taken careful note over the years and I pretty much lose a pound of fat per 100 miles and about 3 pounds extra on the day due to fluid losses which get made up over 24 hours or so.

Well it looks like you all had a good time yesterday,well all except colin that is,

I hope I have'nt given you my chest infection,I would'nt wish it on anybody

Never had anything like it just constantly coughing but nothing coming up

It's finally gone now after four and a half weeks,There does seem to be

something going round,I was at a bbq last sunday and there were quite a few

people suffering with the lurgy as well.
I don't think any of us need to claim ownership of bugs! They do what they do, don't they?

It's funny - when I heard you coughing on those two rides, I was just thinking that I hadn't been ill for a long time!

anyone up for "Season of the Monsoon", sorry I mean "Season of the Mists" later in the year.
I certainly hope to do it and actually be fit for it this time. I've done it in a reasonably respectable 6 hours in the past.

For those of you who haven't ridden SoM - it is 10% shorter with 10% more hills, including some very steep ones! Like SITD though, it has a benign finish. Once you get over the horrible climb at Thursden you have a lovely quick ride and descent back to Hebden Bridge. Think of it as a very hard 90 km ride with an easy 10 km bonus!

The 15th May Bowland ride is going to be spectacular, so do your best to book that day for it. I'll start the thread later today.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I always put on a stone or 2 over winter then I usually loose about a pound per week after winter as I use http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ to control the amount of calories I consume versus any exercise I do over spring and summer and it works great for me.

I have dropped 7lbs in the last month so I should manage to drop about another stone in the next 2 or 3 months then I will work at keeping it at that level.

Good afternoon, everyone, sorry to be so late clocking in.
Like everyone else I had a magnificent day and I'm finding it difficult to imagine how any Audax could be better than this, my first. The combination of fellow-riders, fabulous route and brilliant weather plus the smooth, welcoming organisation and warm hospitality did indeed make it a day to remember. :bravo:

There was one rather odd fly in the ointment though. Drove home, put the bike etc., away, had a long, hot bath, and was about to go downstairs for something to eat when I realised I was going to be sick. Spent 15 mins puking up and then went to bed xx( .
The moral of the story - don't eat toasted tuna sandwiches when you could be eating beans :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
I certainly hope to do it and actually be fit for it this time. I've done it in a reasonably respectable 6 hours in the past.

For those of you who haven't ridden SoM - it is 10% shorter with 10% more hills, including some very steep ones! Like SITD though, it has a benign finish. Once you get over the horrible climb at Thursden you have a lovely quick ride and descent back to Hebden Bridge. Think of it as a very hard 90 km ride with an easy 10 km bonus!

The 15th May Bowland ride is going to be spectacular, so do your best to book that day for it. I'll start the thread later today.

Tubbycyclist says that SOM is like SITD without the flat bits :biggrin: We better get a lot fitter by then.

STASS- Oh dear, that sounds like you ate something dodgy, much beter to stick to beans, burgers, and chips :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru

There was one rather odd fly in the ointment though. Drove home, put the bike etc., away, had a long, hot bath, and was about to go downstairs for something to eat when I realised I was going to be sick. Spent 15 mins puking up and then went to bed xx( .

Maybe you was suffering similar to me, it took a couple of hours before I could face real food without the thought of chucking it up. I put a load of food on my car seat for the journey home, but all I could manage was a pkt of crisps and that was just to get some salt back into the system.

zacklaws

Guru
That was me, I got mine from Handtec, for maps I just use the free downloadable ones. As I always mention though, don't get the latest premium heart rate monitor as they are renowned for spikes.

The 800 is renowned though for lots of bugs, screen hard to see at times unless you have the backlight on and then battery life is about 3 hours at most, very hard to hear as its got design faults, ie the rubber mounting covers the speaker.

phil_hg_uk

That was me, I got mine from Handtec, for maps I just use the free downloadable ones. As I always mention though, don't get the latest premium heart rate monitor as they are renowned for spikes.

The 800 is renowned though for lots of bugs, screen hard to see at times unless you have the backlight on and then battery life is about 3 hours at most, very hard to hear as its got design faults, ie the rubber mounting covers the speaker.

So which is the better buy then the 705 which I can get with the HRM and speed/cadence sensor for £223.97 or the 800 which the cheapest I can find is £329.89 with the HRM and speed/cadence sensor both at handtec and also assuming I will use a free map.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've started a new thread for the 15th May Forest of Bowland forum ride. Be there or be square!

zacklaws

Guru
In all honesty it is a hard call, the 800 is new technology for Garmin with it being a touch screen so the next version when it comes will probably be better as they have not got the 800 right to start with. I got the Handtec bundle for the same price and got the premium strap which I cannot use because of the spikes, but they may have remedied the problem with a newer version strap. The touch screen is good, but it has its problems, for example if you have handled anything sticky like a gel or food, you end up with marks on the screen, then you have the problem of wiping it clean whilst riding, but to do so you can end up altering all your settings just by wiping the screen, unless you lock it first or turn it off.

From what I understand, the 705 is no longer getting updated so any problems with it may not be sorted. Eventually a new patch or more will come out to remedy the 800's problems.

If you have a look at the Garmin forums, you may form an opinion on which is the better, I've only had a 305 previous, so I have no experience of the 705, but the 800 is far better than the 305 and I'm very happy with it, its just those niggling little problems now and again, once you've got it set to how you want it, then they are Ok so long as you understand its shortfalls.

I stuck a matte screen protector on mine so it makes the display easier to read, otherwise its glossy and harder to see, they say using polaroid glasses help, but I have not found any cheap polaroid cycling ones yet, but I may try one day with my normal polaroid glasses.

https://forums.garmin.com/

It may be better to just wait a little while to see what happens with the 800 when the new patch comes out and how much it improves it.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I've entered online, so I'll get ready after my pasta. Looked at last years data, and I was back about ten past two. Not sure I'm as fast this year. Weather looks like it'll be good, wind not as bad as today either. For some reason Metcheck has the temperature about 8 degrees lower than all the other sites (metoffice, ukweather and XCweather).

5hrs ten min ! wow ! what time you get this year ?

phil_hg_uk

In all honesty it is a hard call, the 800 is new technology for Garmin with it being a touch screen so the next version when it comes will probably be better as they have not got the 800 right to start with. I got the Handtec bundle for the same price and got the premium strap which I cannot use because of the spikes, but they may have remedied the problem with a newer version strap. The touch screen is good, but it has its problems, for example if you have handled anything sticky like a gel or food, you end up with marks on the screen, then you have the problem of wiping it clean whilst riding, but to do so you can end up altering all your settings just by wiping the screen, unless you lock it first or turn it off.

From what I understand, the 705 is no longer getting updated so any problems with it may not be sorted. Eventually a new patch or more will come out to remedy the 800's problems.

If you have a look at the Garmin forums, you may form an opinion on which is the better, I've only had a 305 previous, so I have no experience of the 705, but the 800 is far better than the 305 and I'm very happy with it, its just those niggling little problems now and again, once you've got it set to how you want it, then they are Ok so long as you understand its shortfalls.

I stuck a matte screen protector on mine so it makes the display easier to read, otherwise its glossy and harder to see, they say using polaroid glasses help, but I have not found any cheap polaroid cycling ones yet, but I may try one day with my normal polaroid glasses.

https://forums.garmin.com/

It may be better to just wait a little while to see what happens with the 800 when the new patch comes out and how much it improves it.

Thank you for the info zacklaws.

Based on that I think I may wait and see as I dont need to have one at the moment it would just be nice to have one, so I will see how the 800 develops no point buying the 705 if it is effectively obsolete, unless of course I find one for a bargain price.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Looking at my deets, I did it in 5:06 travelling time at an average of 13.7MPH and clocked 7,408 foot of climb. But I did do a little bit at the beginning and end so that's not the exact route and route only.

zacklaws

Guru
5hrs ten min ! wow ! what time you get this year ?

I got round in 5hrs 21mins riding time this time, but including stoppage time for changing inner tube, checkpoints, holdups etc it makes it a total of 5hrs 54 mins.

With getting back to the car park at 1454, it nicely gave me an hour to sort my life out before my parking ticket ran out.

Temperature wise, according to the local weather stations, avg temp was 11.9C but on the Garmin it was 14.4C but it did record 22C, but that was in the middle of Keighley, maybe whilst the bike was propped up outside the checkpoint with the sun shining on it

Top Bottom