Spring Into The Dales 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I got round in 5hrs 21mins riding time this time, but including stoppage time for changing inner tube, checkpoints, holdups etc it makes it a total of 5hrs 54 mins.

So 33 minutes of stoppages? Blimey we spent longer than that at the 1st control point :biggrin: No wonder you were on the fast train this time zack.

zacklaws

Guru
I haven't even started yet, so I'm going to finish well outside the time limit! ;)

Not unless its a head start for the the next one! :biggrin:

Checked my iffy inner tube today, I found that unless the little brass screw cap was screwed down really tight, it was leaking air, so it may not have been all the screw in valves fault not been screwed in tight enough into the innertube.

But.......

Before I went on today's ride, I got a liitle container of water, turned my wheels so the valves were in the 12 o'clock position and dipped the valves into the container, and I was not a happy bunny to see both valves were leaking from the point were the valves screw into the inner tube. It was not easy to see initially, but their was a constant stream of tiny bubbles coming from the side of the valve stem. I did not even know that I had screw in valves, except on the odd inner tube, so these screw in valves seem to be everywhere. I followed Svendo's advice, and put some thread lock on them and screwed them in tight with pliers, which cured the problem. I did test them first with a bit of spit and nothing showed up, but as Svendo said, the leakage is very hard to spot.

Now as a precaution before any ride, I will have my little container of water, with a bit of washing up liquid in to help spot the bubbles better and check my valves after pumping the tyres up to ensure they are not leaking.

Garz

Squat Member
Out of a box of 20 tubes I bought, I had a couple of faulty valves that done what you are describing. I only noticed when after the first one got replaced a few days later the new one had gone down but not all the way. The water in the tub highlighted the valve so I dug out the previous tube and it was the same but had a faster leak.

:angry:

So far all the others have been fine though.

zacklaws

Guru
We do like our rest stops though ! Sniff a cake shop anywhere on our rides

Well when I caught up to Svendo in Keighley, he was about to set off, so I was going to tag on as soon as I got my card stamped, but thought I better get something to eat that would be quick, not being a cake spotter like some, I saw a small cakey type thing that looked like it would go down in 2 or 3 gulps, but it was not to be, it turned out to be some form of flap jack which relieved me of £1.10 and took some eating, but it was good I have to admit.

Then a few miles down the road, the thought of eating solids was enough to make me to puke

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well when I caught up to Svendo in Keighley, he was about to set off, so I was going to tag on as soon as I got my card stamped, but thought I better get something to eat that would be quick, not being a cake spotter like some, I saw a small cakey type thing that looked like it would go down in 2 or 3 gulps, but it was not to be, it turned out to be some form of flap jack which relieved me of £1.10 and took some eating, but it was good I have to admit.

Then a few miles down the road, the thought of eating solids was enough to make me to puke

Was that your pavement pizza by the weather station above Hebden ???:tongue:

Steve H

Large Member
It had a look of Rosies rice pudding !!!

SlowerThanASluggishSloth and I had Rossi's rice pudding, but the chunder was there before we got there!

zacklaws

Guru
The strange thing is we were not fazed by the pile of blown chunks on the floor as we took photo's !!!!

Talking about photo's, has anyone seen any links to any of the photo's that were taken on the day?

Unless they have been handed over to the local council, to see if they can spot who's responsible for chucking up so they can send them a bill for road cleaning, because I have heard on the forum it is a bit posh around Hebden Bridge

Alun

Guru
I choose to climb hills, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Garrowby Hill, Bishop Wilton, Staxton, Sutton Bank, Rosedale Chimney, Holme Moss, Monsal Head, Hartside Ridge, Winnats Pass, Moscar, Strines, Chunal, Chinley Head, Rushup Edge.

Looks like you have run out of hills there !!

Ask Colin, I'm sure he has a few killers up his sleeve :whistle:

zacklaws

Guru

Well not really, some times I "run out" before the hill does. :biggrin: I suppose I could do them all again, on my other road bike with the traditional double on, instead of a triple, and that would narrow my conquests down by about 50%.

You mean Colin's got some big muscles, must be lifting too many cakes. :rolleyes:

Actually this past week, I have discovered the merits of riding low tempo and keeping the heart rate low and out of the big hills, and starting to feel really good, yesterday I did 127 miles Audax, 78 miles on Friday club ride, up at crack of dawn this morning for the club ride thinking I may be a bit tired, and could not believe how good I felt on the ride.

Anyway between now and Monday night its beer time, and rest day Tuesday

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Oh yes - Mytholm Steeps being an obvious one! ;)

Well, it is 15 days since I last rode my bike and it has been doing my head in having to rest with all this sunshine!

I've been waiting for my chest infection (or snot-less cold as I like to call it!) to pass. I've still got some of the wheezy congested chest symptoms but my legs haven't felt wobbly for about 4 days now so I'm going to get my bike out this afternoon and attempt a slow 20-miler.

Top Bottom