Spring Into The Dales (SITD), Sun, 14th Apr, 2019. HQ Mytholmroyd.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is only just over a month until SITD 2019. Those of you who have ridden it before know what to expect. For those of who haven't ... it is 100 km of extremely lumpy roads in beautiful surroundings, joined up by about 15 km of busier and less pretty roads, but don't let them put you off!

If you are not reasonably fit, you'd be better off doing sister event Leap Into The Aire which sets off an hour later than SITD.

For more detail, search the audax and recreational rides forums for ride threads from past years.

@skudupnorth and I have already signed up. @Amanda P - are you still interested? Anybody else who fancies joining us and could ride at an average speed of (say) 13-14 km/h in such terrain, post below. (Minimum speed for the event is 12 km/h but we'd aim for higher in case of problems such as punctures.)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cannot wait for this no matter what !!! Two days later I will be in hospital so it will be a perfect event to keep my spirits up for the impending lay off

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
You hadn't... but then we hardly got much time to talk.. :smile:

I may be doing the Leap with Mrs Kes…. however there is the chance she will be unavailable in which case I'll by riding it... The three blokes I was with on Sunday will be riding anyway... and there's even a chance @Steve H will have run out of dodgy beer related excuses and decided to try and ride a bike again.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The audax website seems to be down at the moment but I'm fairly sure that the start is at 09:00 so I will aim to get there at 08:45, which would mean me leaving Todmorden at about 08:15.

I am considering riding to Littleborough and back first to get another 20 km in. That, with the 18 km to Mytholmroyd and back from Tod would give me about 153 km for the day so I would only have to find another 8 km or so for 161 km, the metric equivalent of 100 miles. (I'll forget that idea if the weather is bad!)

So, it could be ... 07:25 Tod, 07:50 Littleborough, 08:15 Tod, 08:35 Hebden Bridge, 08:45 event HQ in Mytholmroyd.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
If my pace is good enough I will try to meet you at one of those points but if all fails I will meet you at the HQ

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Aaaargh! Sorry, skud - I am going to have to drop out! :sad:

I have been battling my second heavy cold of 2019 but was hoping that I would recover in time to do SITD. I am getting better and no longer feel ill when sitting around indoors in the warm, but a simple 3 km test ride to the shops and back this morning soon exposed how weak my body still is. If 50 metres of climbing over 3 km made me feel that bad, then there is no sensible way for me to attempt 2,350 metres of tough climbs over 135 km on Sunday!

I hope you have a great ride. I'll (hopefully?) meet up with you later in the year in Cheshire, and maybe on some other rides elsewhere too.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Aaaargh! Sorry, skud - I am going to have to drop out! :sad:

I have been battling my second heavy cold of 2019 but was hoping that I would recover in time to do SITD. I am getting better and no longer feel ill when sitting around indoors in the warm, but a simple 3 km test ride to the shops and back this morning soon exposed how weak my body still is. If 50 metres of climbing over 3 km made me feel that bad, then there is no sensible way for me to attempt 2,350 metres of tough climbs over 135 km on Sunday!

I hope you have a great ride. I'll (hopefully?) meet up with you later in the year in Cheshire, and maybe on some other rides elsewhere too.
Noooooo !!!! The weather is looking good aswell

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Noooooo !!!! The weather is looking good aswell
Yeah. It is the second weekend on the trot that I have had to pull out of a ride, but it would be daft for me to try this one - it is a hard route even when feeling fit.

I think I hadn't fully recovered from the first cold before doing my Garforth century on March 23rd. I got tired and chilled in the dark on the way back and that probably reduced my immune response and let the cold bugs multiply again.

Top Bottom